Tough Trip But A Few Nice Fish

slinkymalinky

Hi all,

Just got back from 3 weeks in SE Queensland and Northern NSW... and wouldn't you know it, we timed our trip to coincide with record rainfall :ranting2:!

post-6175-1209766844_thumb.jpg

:ranting2::ranting2::ranting2:

The fishing was tough but I managed a few nice fish at each stop. My camera only made it on a couple of days sometimes due to bad planning and sometimes to rain avoidance. Anyway, here's the report.

Started on the Gold Coast where I took the boat to a spot outside the seaway on the first (and last) good weather day. The water was the kind of blue that we never find in Sydney without a trip offshore and as we motored up to the mark the sounder lit up with bait... a good sign. I had the extended family (niece, nephew, brother-in-law) on board who are non-fishos so we made it easy and anchored on the spot to soak some bait. A few reef ooglies, bream and small snapper came over the side before I hooked up to something big, fast and strong. I'm calling it for a Cobe based on the way it was fighting but after about 40 odd minutes and with nearly 200m of line out we'd just decided to chase it when my line touched some reef and ping!

I'd made the smart call of floating a pilchard out the back when we arrived and it ultimately saved the day with Mrs Slinky by supplying a 3kg Spotted Mackerel for dinner. Don't they go like cut cats!! (no pics... sorry).

Over the next couple of days it was either raining, windy or both. I snuck out a couple of times to fish inside the Seaway (safely in sight of the Southport Coastguard tower). Time spent collecting herrings from the scattered schools paid off over the next few days and I managed to land some nice flathead and bream.

post-6175-1209766465_thumb.jpg

69cm Lizard for lunch

Next stop was Tin Can Bay and Rainbow Beach where the rain decided to stop long enough for the 30kt Southerly winds to kick in for 3 days :1badmood: .

post-6175-1209766487_thumb.jpg

Rainbow Bay

The only option was to fish the inside of Tin Can Inlet which is an expanse of sand, sand and sand. By pure luck I managed (thanks to Mr Lowrance), to find a solitary patch of reef which produced a few nice estuary cod to 4kg on live herrings and mullet. Fish was still on the menu and I still had my continued fishing rights from :wife: .

I should mention at this point that Little Slinky had decided that playing with cousins and running around in exciting caravan parks was a more attractive prospect than fishing with dad. She managed to get excited about fishing often enough to at least manage bragging rights in one of the caravan parks, and no matter how many kings a kid catches they still don't get tired of tiddlers. Looks like my little fishing buddy is going to be less of a full time crew member from now on. Oh well!

post-6175-1209766405_thumb.jpg

Queen for a day!

post-6175-1209766555_thumb.jpg

Chasing tiddlers in the rain

By the time we headed south to Yamba, the rain had become torrential and most of the Northern Rivers were seriously up, pushing all the bait out to sea where the strong wind prevented me from chasing them in my little boat. The estuary fishing was close to dead although there was some nice looking water close to the river and creek mouths that continued to produce on the right tides. Catching bait was the really hard part so most of the time we stuck to fishing soft plastics. (I've already dropped in to see Go Fish Pete and replenished my supply)

post-6175-1209766581_thumb.jpg

Prime flathead water that produced Little Slinky's PB flattie

Finally, we got to Coffs Harbour and got some passable weather. In a stroke of pure luck, I'd also managed to score some time on the water with a local professional fishing writer and if there is anyone who knows their home water better I'd be really impressed. As well as being a great fishing writer and great 'guide' he's a great bloke to share the water with and I had 2 memorable sessions with him. Even though the fish weren't thick I managed to land a beautiful 12kg Cobe that became one of the most delicious fish meals I've ever had thanks to him and his generous wife.

post-6175-1209766442_thumb.jpg

This is why some people cut cobes off thinking they're sharks!

post-6175-1209766426_thumb.jpg

12kg of yummy

The second session will live in my memory a long time. Scott took me out to chase Snapper on plastic which I'd never really done seriously before. Watching the sun come up over an ocean with no other boats while working 7" Gulps is one of the most serene and simultaneously exciting forms of fishing I've ever experienced. The adrenalin pumps the entire time as you work the lure knowing that it can be hit at any moment... and boy, do they get hit! I've included a photo of a little pan-sized red that I had taken with my camera but I managed a better fish of somewhere between 3 and 4kg too which I may get a photo of later from my host (I hope).

I know what I'll be chasing a lot while the kings are quiet. I think I have a new favourite form of fishing.

post-6175-1209766511_thumb.jpg

my first edible red on plastic

Our last stop was Forster/Tuncurry where the rain had stopped but the whole estuary was chocolate brown goo in which I couldn't even see the bottom in 30cm of water (meaning I spent 30 minutes on the sand at one point while looking for some nipper beds). I took the tribe outside on our last afternoon and Mrs Slinky and I had a ball drift fishing a small patch of reef with soft plastics. We didn't catch anything memorable but had non-stop action with tailor, bream, small reds and even a bonito come over the side on bream weight gear fishing 4 and 5" Gulps and Squidgy Flick Baits. Now Mrs Slinky loves this type of fishing too.

Now I need to spend some time going through all your other posts to work out where the fish are around Sydney. I've still got 2 more weeks off so a couple of mid-week trips are on the cards.

Cheers Slinky :1fishing1:

post-6175-1209766533_thumb.jpg

Great report.

Was that a little steber you were on up at Coffs?? How did it go?

Thanks

Pel

Yeah Pel,

A beautiful 22 footer. A really great fishing rig. Not a super fast machine but I'm in love with it... heaps of work space, a beaut dry cabin, sips diesel, solid as a rock, rides soft. You obviously know the boat and the skipper.... there are 2 of the Stebers side by side in the Marina (I was on the one nearest the wall). What a fantastic guy with whom to share some time on the water. I think I learned more in an hour chasing snapper with him than in all my hundred odd hours of chasing them solo.

Cheers, Slinky

Hi Slinkymalinky. You sure struck some lousy weather Tony for such a well planned and organised north coast and Qld fishing trip. Wouldn't think there would be more of that torrential rain and wind like we experienced up that way over Christmas. It was either too wet or too windy to fish nearly every day over the six weeks we were up there and when it eased off there was so much mud it was unfishable. The weather all but ruined everyone elses' Christmas holidays for that matter anywhere along the mid, far north coast and well up into Qld where they had continual gale force winds and rain as well.

The big rains started near Taree on our way up to Qld a couple of weeks before Christmas and the rain was so heavy and blinding a few hours into the trip that we had to pull in to Taree for the night.

The winds, rain or both hardly eased up until we got home to Sydney at the end of January. On the way back we stayed on at Forster for almost two weeks waiting for the wind and drenching rains to ease off just enough to fish, but that didn't happen too often up that way either. We struck flooded rivers and muddy water and couldn't fish anywhere all the way back to Forster from the Gold Coast area and Ballina.

Anyway Tony you got some good fish when you did manage to get out. I'll bet that big Cobia gave you a good run for your money ay. :1yikes:

Now that you're home and still on holidays for a couple of weeks, you might be able to have a long daytime session or two and a good go at the Hawkesbury Jewfish ay old mate. There'll be plenty of time in two weeks of serious jew fishing to watch the rod spread :D

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

What's your point??

Slinky

"This is why some people cut cobes off thinking they're sharks!"

I think he agrees with your quote. As I had to look harder myself. Definately resembles a shark whilst in the water.

Anyway, great trip had despite the weather, great fish and great pics.

Congrats.

Yeah Pel,

A beautiful 22 footer. A really great fishing rig. Not a super fast machine but I'm in love with it... heaps of work space, a beaut dry cabin, sips diesel, solid as a rock, rides soft. You obviously know the boat and the skipper.... there are 2 of the Stebers side by side in the Marina (I was on the one nearest the wall). What a fantastic guy with whom to share some time on the water. I think I learned more in an hour chasing snapper with him than in all my hundred odd hours of chasing them solo.

Cheers, Slinky

He is known as a nice bloke ,top fisherman but I don't know him personally but have admired the boat and it's simplicity. May steber make and sell many and hope he upgrades in a couple of years so I can snaffle it or another one cheap- not going to happen but nice to dream. Top spot up there but the marina since it has been taken over is getting very Exe$ compared to what it was so a different style of boat on the marina now. Dam porpise spit as we call it has grown too much.

Didn't know there was a second one there but not surprised as they are a great boat and the only thing similar but not in the same league is the old Arvor. Right size little rig ( another 10 knots would be nice) but they hold that speed in poor conditions as well. They are so simple to handle.

did I mention I like em!!

Pel

He is known as a nice bloke ,top fisherman but I don't know him personally but have admired the boat and it's simplicity. May steber make and sell many and hope he upgrades in a couple of years so I can snaffle it or another one cheap- not going to happen but nice to dream. Top spot up there but the marina since it has been taken over is getting very Exe$ compared to what it was so a different style of boat on the marina now. Dam porpise spit as we call it has grown too much.

Didn't know there was a second one there but not surprised as they are a great boat and the only thing similar but not in the same league is the old Arvor. Right size little rig ( another 10 knots would be nice) but they hold that speed in poor conditions as well. They are so simple to handle.

did I mention I like em!!

Pel

Mate... I dropped a couple of hints to Mrs Slinky about needing a bigger boat (emphasising the safety, comfort, sleeping room, vanity mirror angle of course) and was shot down in flames so immediately and comprehensively that I dare not even mention the name Steber around the house. I'll be in line right behind you when they start handing them out cheap!!.

Cheers, Slinky

Well done, Slinky under trying conditions! Love the pic of the seagull!! Also the flattie, the cobia, the pinkie ..... I think you did fine!!! So frustrating & depressing when it rains that much tho!

Sorry we couldn't get the water clear by the time you reached Forster!! :( Next tme! :)

Cheerio

Roberta

Great fish mate bummer about the weather.

I know how you feel I purchased my new boat recenly so i could spend every day for 2 weeks on it for it to rain for 2 weeks. i was a tad dissapointed

Edited by hoges1974