Dangerous Snapper Poo

slinkymalinky

Only being a new initiate into the world of serious snapper fishing I learned something about mid-north coast snapper that I wanted to check out with the local Sydney fishos.

There is something that the Snapper eat up north that means their poo can be full of nasty shards of spiky stuff (silica from coral I guess) that is almost invisible and sticks in your skin like slivers of glass if you touch it when cleaning fish. I was told about it when one of the reds I caught pooed all over the boat. When I went to wash it off I was given a serious warning by my local fishing mate. Later when I cleaned a fish, I got some of the spikes in my hands and they are really seriously painful (like little micro splinters). It took about half an hour, a pair of tweezers, and almost bionic eyesight to get the little buggers out of my skin.

Is this something the local snapper have on their menu as well?

Cheers, Slinky

• 13 years later...

7 hours ago, grantos said:

Hey late poster on this on - cleaned a snapper last night (from long reef - good size too) and got the same little invisible splinters in my hands - hurts like a bugger!

Anyone else have this?

They are from a creature called bristle worms, the snapper eat them. Just goes to show how tough a fishes mouth is and the difference of how they feel pain to us. Imagine if you had a mouthful instead of a hand full??

13 years later good reply

• Like 1

11 hours ago, grantos said:

Hey late poster on this on - cleaned a snapper last night (from long reef - good size too) and got the same little invisible splinters in my hands - hurts like a bugger!

Anyone else have this?

yeh I have had this off Sydney long reef too 

It was like small pieces of glass splinters in my hands

Wasn't a nice experience at all 

• Like 1