Going Offshore

chewsta

For those (like myself) who may not be aware of who to register with or contact for your own personal safety

when going offshore, can those in the know please help out or point me in the right direction.

Who should i reigister with and what is involved in registering with the coastguard etc

(donations, registration fee's)?

I fish out of Sydney and surrounding areas but usually head out with other people that have always taken care of these things, now I will be doing this out of my own boat I wont be heading out without notifying the right people. So would like as much info as possible on the right procedures please.

Thanks for any help guys

Allen.

As your leaving go onto VHF 16 or 27Mhz 88 and call for the coastguard, the coast guard will then direct you to another channell where you can log your trip with them...

Also get an epirb.....for the money they are awesome

As your leaving go onto VHF 16 or 27Mhz 88 and call for the coastguard, the coast guard will then direct you to another channell where you can log your trip with them...

Also get an epirb.....for the money they are awesome

Thanks Netic,

Much appreciated mate,

I do have all the safety gear and boat requirements covered including an epirb.

was wondering more about the registration with the coastguard.

I know some friends are registered with the Shoalhaven Coastguard and they had to mail in personal details such as car rego, phone numbers, home address etc, kind of like a membership.

So I was more interested in that side of it all for the Sydney areas and if it was required or just log in as youve mentioned.

I know some friends are registered with the Shoalhaven Coastguard and they had to mail in personal details such as car rego, phone numbers, home address etc, kind of like a membership.

Please!!!! i hope your not thinking we are now friends. Come on man, weve spoken a few times on the phone.. i dont class that as friends. Ive got plenty of friends i dont need anymore.. ok!

love u!!!!

Nath

Thanks Robbie,

that looks like what im after.

Please!!!! i hope your not thinking we are now friends. Come on man, weve spoken a few times on the phone.. i dont class that as friends. Ive got plenty of friends i dont need anymore.. ok!

love u!!!!

Nath

no metho-man, i would never tell anyone your a friend of mine.

Thanks again to Robbie and Netic for all info shared.

cheers boys

Allen

Peter.

27.880MHz (Ch 88) Limited coast stations & boats Distress, urgency, safety and calling

27.860 MHz (Ch 86) Limited coast stations & boats Distress, urgency, safety and calling (supplementary to Ch 88)

27.900 MHz (Ch 90) Limited coast stations only Calling and working

27.910 MHz (Ch 91) Limited coast stations only Calling and working

27.940 MHz (Ch 94) Limited coast stations & boats Calling and working (clubs)

27.960 MHz (Ch 96) Boats Calling and working

27.980 MHz (Ch 98) Limited coast, boats and mobiles Calling and working by safety organizations (eg Surf Lifesavers)

Cheers.

Robbie.

Chewsta your mates are registered as associate members of the Australian volunteers coastguard association and yes you fill out a form with all your details which they keep on a national computer. I think last year was 30 dollars but I think dollars well spent for all the work these people do for free. Here is the link http://www.coastguard.com.au/membership.html just click on the Membership enquiry form and all you have to do is fill in your details and they will get in contact with you

Cheers

Chewsta your mates are registered as associate members of the Australian volunteers coastguard association and yes you fill out a form with all your details which they keep on a national computer. I think last year was 30 dollars but I think dollars well spent for all the work these people do for free. Here is the link http://www.coastguard.com.au/membership.html just click on the Membership enquiry form and all you have to do is fill in your details and they will get in contact with you

Cheers

Thanks Dorado, thats great info there.

It's definitely money well spent isn't it.

cheers mate.

Allen

Don't forget to tell ya family and always remember to log on and off with CG.

I have a section next to the calender on the whiteboard at home and it has which boat I'm in, where I think I'm going, where I'm leaving from, who with and expected time of return. Has mates telephone numbers, photo of boats, description and rego numbers and GPS marks printed out of usual spots. My epirb rego and car rego details and coatsguard , waterpolice numbers.

I think the Coats guard used to have a formatted trip sheet to use as a template.

Long story but years ago was out one day , it blew up , and another boat similar to ours went over and people injured. Couldn't be contacted and relos jumped to conclusions after seeing news report and went to hospital to see what condition me and crew were in after seeing news report. We were safe and happily fishing ,then at the pub- big mistake. Come home and driveway was full - you can imagine the bollicking we got and it was nothing to do with us. I think they were dissapointed they wern't going to get the insurance money!!!

We now SMS home if changing plans , include yourself in SMS so you know it actually got sent, and phone when back on land or in harbour or at pub.