Luderick / Blackfish Set Up

MrE

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and all this blackfish talk has me wanting to go out and buy

a new rod and reel combo, as I've been using my sedona 1500 and 7" silstar quiver tip.

I'm looking at getting the alvey blackfish reel and still undecided on which rod to purchase for it.

So I'll like to ask what reel rod combo do most you luderick hunters use, what class line and

do you usually fish from rocks or rivers?

Any slow taper rod around 10 to 11 feet will do the job and they can be cheapies as they need to be a slow bending rod to soak up the runs and lunges of the blackies.

Low winch mount for alveys and we use 30 lb braid as it floats and you can you this combo from the rocks or estuary.

Contact one of our sponsors and they will help you out with a nice rod to get the job done.

Cheers Stewy

10ft 6 inch slow /med taper for the estuary a goodone is the wilson or snyder 4126 for the rocks depending on your level of experience handling a luderick and i will tell you its an entirely different kettle of fish use a MT4144 if you are starting out the extra grunt will help staying back from the edge in a bump or in tough water it helps to subdue fish if your a little more experienced and wantthe sporting factor a kilwel 1365 isawesome at 13ft long

IMHO dont let anyone tell you a 10 ft rod on the rocks is okay as you will be fishing up to 13ft deep with a fixed weighted float running floats are near useless on the rocks and the swell will alwys pull the line throught the runners out of the strike zone. Also tak into account thesafety factor of keeping back from the edge in abit of a bump these ar etips extolled in the old fishing weeklies of the 1960's and 1970's by the likes of Ron Calcutt and Dave Dixon.

Cheers

Royce.

Edited by luderick -angler

Thanks for that advice luderick -angler. :thumbup:

Going to pick a MT4144 and 475b up tomorrow and go straight out and have a fish with it.

Im going to put some 7 kilo fireline on it so its good for both estuary and rock fishing.

Plus also later on when i get into beach fishing it can double up as a beach rod.

Edited by MrE

Thanks for that advice luderick -angler. :thumbup:

Going to pick a MT4144 and 475b up tomorrow and go straight out and have a fish with it.

Im going to put some 7 kilo fireline on it so its good for both estuary and rock fishing.

Plus also later on when i get into beach fishing it can double up as a beach rod.

The 4144 will be overkill in the estuary i would recommend snyders mab bream for you if tou want to bouble up its a shade short at 11'4" but i used to use one off Bare Island to great sucess, if you can afford it go with the 4144 and get yourselfa seperate estuary rod there is a world of difference.

PM with an specifics!

Ill get a wilson 4126 for estuary fish and the 4144 for rocks,

But will the alvey 475b with 7 kilo line be good for both types of fishing?

appreciate your help luderick.

7kg is a good all round main line i would go for tortue super control, maxima or platypus (low stretch mono) and grease it with mucilin or vaseline and use a 2 - 3 kg trace Berkly vanish in 6lb is awesome!

Mono IMHO you will drop less fish asluderick and there bouncing action that bit of stretch is ned event houghthe rod does act as a shock the stretch helps when striking at long distance noe braids awesome buti found i dropped a lot of fish on the strike as i pulled the hook too often or in the first few minutes hence back to mono and i have some of the slowest action rods in the buissness with a lot of flex and still pulled a lot of hooks using braid.

At the end its personal preferance and a landing net in the estuary is a must as lifting a good fish can be the easiest way to break a good rod specially in the harbour where you can be up to 6 metres off the water its okay if you have an incline to slide fish up like a lot of the Georges to go without a landing net on the rocks use the rise and fall of the swell to wash fish on to ledges when you can try to avoid skull dragging only do this as a last resort.

PM Mark84or Luderick59 they are good fishos and nkow how to chase them in both forms of estuary and rock

P.S the 4144 is the best all round rock beach rod i have had it handle school jew tailor bream whiting and blackies the 475 is ideal in both environs

Cheers

Royce.

i agree with royce mono for blackies [more stretch] ive seen so many fish lost on braid due to their floping motion when playing them in off the rocks

snieder torture and maxima 6lb are all good vanish 6lb perfect for traces

peter :1fishing1:

Edited by luderick59