Offshore Kiama 6 May

dogtooth

Went out of kiama on tuesday in search of a few blueye cod . We decided to head south looking at the sounder and plotter untill we found somewhere that looked promising . Caught a few fresh striped tuna which were a bonus as nothing beats fresh bait . Found a nice spot on the shelf in around 500 metres of water and decided to have a drop . So down go the baits in search of blueye , it doesn't take long and both lines are on . our first drop and were on , one of the fish seems like a bass groper and is fighting non stop . Now our lines are only 40 metres from the boat with good fish on both . When out of nowhere a pack of six KILLER WHALES decides to eat our fish like its a seaworld show .... :mad3::mad3: All we end up with is bare hooks and lost fish. . We decide to drop again and both lines are on . Now we are still in awe at what just happened and what we just witnessed. our lines are coming up from the depths again and when our fish are 40 meters from the boat our fish are attacked again by KILLER WHALES all we end up with is one head and a mangled blueye. . . It is now decided that its time to move before we are on the meal list :1fishing1::1fishing1: . We decide to move spots and end up with a feed of blueye and sea perch by the end of the day and an amazing fishing story to tell... :1fishing1:

Heres a few pics :1fishing1: cheers Dogtooth.....

post-692-1210368824_thumb.jpg

post-692-1210368813_thumb.jpg

post-692-1210368833_thumb.jpg

Mate that's unbelievable & heart breaking at the same time loosing top quality fish to something you would

never expect.I guess you will have those memories for long time to come,but good to see you got a few

fish to keep in the end.Ive lost both nice yellowfin & longtail tuna to big mako sharks within sight of the boat

so i no how you feel when it happens.

You could still make up a pretty good blue eye fish soup with the head & bits left over :1prop::1prop:

Nice report mate!!

Steve

Edited by nexus

mate i had makos steal lizards but that' well whats a good word mind blowing

are there often killer whales off shore this far up

are they following the whales soon to be followed by the fin[i hope]

great report gary

Went out of kiama on tuesday in search of a few blueye cod . We decided to head south looking at the sounder and plotter untill we found somewhere that looked promising . Caught a few fresh striped tuna which were a bonus as nothing beats fresh bait . Found a nice spot on the shelf in around 500 metres of water and decided to have a drop . So down go the baits in search of blueye , it doesn't take long and both lines are on . our first drop and were on , one of the fish seems like a bass groper and is fighting non stop . Now our lines are only 40 metres from the boat with good fish on both . When out of nowhere a pack of six KILLER WHALES decides to eat our fish like its a seaworld show .... :mad3::mad3: All we end up with is bare hooks and lost fish. . We decide to drop again and both lines are on . Now we are still in awe at what just happened and what we just witnessed. our lines are coming up from the depths again and when our fish are 40 meters from the boat our fish are attacked again by KILLER WHALES all we end up with is one head and a mangled blueye. . . It is now decided that its time to move before we are on the meal list :1fishing1::1fishing1: . We decide to move spots and end up with a feed of blueye and sea perch by the end of the day and an amazing fishing story to tell... :1fishing1:

Heres a few pics :1fishing1: cheers Dogtooth.....

post-692-1210368824_thumb.jpg

post-692-1210368813_thumb.jpg

post-692-1210368833_thumb.jpg

I HAVE A MANUAL DEEP SEA WINCH WITH HEAVY BRAID AND IM KEEN TO HEAD OUT TO BROWNS FOR A BOTTOM BOUNCE. THATS AN AMAZING EXPERIENCE, AND THE BLUE EYE LOOK A GREAT SIZE TOO! IS THAT AN ELECTRIC WINCH YOU HAVE AFFIXED TO YOUR ROD... IT LOOKS STATE OF THE ART MATE! IM LOOKING FORWARD TO MY FIRST OUTING TO BROWNS

When out of nowhere a pack of six KILLER WHALES decides to eat our fish like its a seaworld show ....

our fish are attacked again by KILLER WHALES all we end up with is one head and a mangled blueye. . . post-692-1210368833_thumb.jpg

I think I would have had to change my undies after that experience. :hitsfan:

Crikey, imagine if they decided to target your boat? :byebye:

Hi Dogtooth. Excellent report and photos :1yikes: Tell you what, from the good jewfish activity around the off shore reefs lately, I reckon you had better bring a few more of those electric reels up to the rail bridge with you old mate :lol::thumbup:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: