Looking For Basic Hull Only - Hornet/edgetracker Style

wonniefisho

Hi all,

Been watching for a while but its about time I posted.

I sold my old runabout a few years back as it was a bit 'in between' - forward steer but not big enough for anything but the calm river.

Anyway, it was either get a bigger boat or a more open boat, and since I'm not a big water person I'd prefer a small open boat for rivers, creeks etc.

I'm assuming the Hornet/Edgetracker style hull is the better all round style for stability with decent ride as well? How does the flatter bottom handle wash from the big cruisers that are around - is it likely to throw the little Vnose (I assume these are what they call V nose punt?) around a bit if we are anchored or drifting/trolling somewhere?

But my main question is since I really don't have the dough to purchase a fully setup bass/bream boat, I'd like to purchase a suitable very bare hull and do everything myself. Are their particular manufacturers that do a very basic unpainted Vnose in at least 4m - 4.4m? I want that size as there is usually going to be 2 people fishing, my father and I, he is getting older and I am 120kg - and most of them I've seen tend to be the little 3.4 or similar - no thanks. :thumbdown:

Thanks for reading.

Oh, and in case my username doesn't give it away, I fish the wonnie (landbased at the moment, obviously)

Hi, we chose to sell the Stacer range so we believe they are good boats, as are the Quintrex and Savage in my opinion. As Iceman says I think the boat you need for your little project is the 420 Proline, which for the 2008 model Stacer has offered a sharpen/deeper entry to the bow and they ride well in chop as well as offering unmatched stabilty in a 4.2M boat. Tricking this out the way you want we not cost you alot and the boat performs well with a 40HP outboard on the back and this HP will not have a problem pushing two large adults and the extra weight you are going to add with your fitout.

PM me if you would like a price.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, yes there are alot of small no name brands who think they can make boats because they know how to weld, or again think they do. You have to ask yourself why you have not heard of them, but it is your money and you can buy any brand you like, but trust me I could call up any of the smaller "no name"brands that are out there and start selling tomorrow if I chose, but the brand we sell and the other two brands I mentioned would be what I would be looking at myself-you really could not go wrong with any of them, but we like the Stacer range and especially the 08 model with the new bow shape.

Cheers,

Huey.

mate of mine has a 4mt hornet that we fish the estuary in ,i can not believe how much better it rides compared to the old 12 foot tinnie he had before ,if you can spare the cash i reckon definitely spend the extra dollars on the hornet its stable ,soft riding,tracks like it s on rails ,fast and a perfect platform in my eyes anyway to spend a morning tossing plastics ,and they have good resale value as well

talk to a dealer and see if you can take one for a run and see for yourself

agree with Huey about sticking to the brand name pressed tinnies unless you go the plate aluminium path but thats a different kettle of fish altogether

cheers Arman

Hi, yes I agree with Arman, the Hornet and Stacer Bass / Barra will ride better than a Proline but they are a dearer boat and also are not as stable at rest as the Proline. Also to get the internal room of the 420 Proline you would need to look at the 435 Barra or Quintrex equivilent and the price goes up again.

The best value for money hull to do what wonnie wnats to do would be the Proline, either the 399 (which can not be beaten for price) or the bigger 420 Proline.

Cheers,

Huey.