Fishing Dvds On Youtube

Methodman

Every year a crew of 4 of us head up to Southwest Rocks for a week in February.

2006 and 2007 we recorded our trip and I made a dvd for each of those years for us boys to have a laugh and for us to keep forever. Now the problem is im sick of burning copies for everyone. I think i spent aliitle too much time in the production of these and now everyone wants a copy.

So insted of me burning 100s of copies i thought id release it via Youtube.

The prob is im not sure how to use youtube. im sure if i had a look id work it out, but i thought some one on here would know abit about it.

The dvd is broken up into sequences from 1 - 12. Its been a while since ive looked but each sequence is fairly big in size. The whole movie runs for close to 50mins.

Questions:

• How much quality will it lose when uploading to Youtube?

• What size files wwill youtube be able to handle?

• and Will there be dramas with bad language? After all it is a fishing trip!!!

Thanks for ya help.

Nath

Hello Method,

Am currently studying film at Uni and have had to incorporate uploading mini short films onto YouTube as an evaluation tool so to speak.

You need to compress your video files down BEFORE uploading them to YouTube and they will need to be under a certain size, not sure what size exactly but we had no trouble uploading 6 minute videos.

You can use various programs the easiest would be Apple's compressor, you'd have to find an equivalent on the Windows side.

You can change the frame rate and pixel display size (dramatic file size loss), I would try leave your frame rate at around 20-25 fps as it's going to get too jumpy.

Basically all you need to do is:

Find a compression tool

Compress to a H.264 file size (best online streaming format)

- choose your kps rate 150-300-500 for e/g

- result avg 6-10min film from 20-30gig raw to 14-20mb stream-able version

Youtube also checks the video before uploading I THINK, not too sure, but there is a short time before its enabled on the web for viewing.

Thanks mate.

I edited on a mac ussing Final Cut Pro and exported as a self contained quicktime file.

It does have a compresion programe with it.

The other way i thought may work is to drop the quicktime files into the crapy programe that comes with a mac called Imovie. There is a 'export for web' option on that.

Just dont want the footage to fall apart and make it hard to watch.

Thanks for ya help tho. Ill have a play with it tonight.. and then work on the movie hahaha

Nath

Edited by Methodman

Yea best way is to play around with it.

The quicktime movie that comes out of Final Cut pro is the file you use with compressor.

And any other program as well, best way as you said is to get in there play with it etc.

Goodluck and post links when your done!

To answer your questions:

1) You Tube will display video up to 480x360 pixels, 24 frames per second. That's fairly high quality ("Higher Quality". When viewing a video, YouTube may automatically drop the quality based on the users bandwidth and preferences. In other words - if you are using dialup, YouTube may give you a lower quality version of the video, unless you have "Always view Higher Quality" checked in your YouTube Preferences.

How can I upload Higher Quality videos?

2) There is a limit of 10minutes length per video, and 100megs. The 10minute length is a hard limit (you can't change that). You can upload a video of up to 1gig if you use the YouTube Uploaded.

Size Limits

YouTube Uploader

3) There shouldn't be dramas with bad language etc.

Youtube recognises most file formats - including AVI, MOV, MPEG, MPG, AVI etc

For more info check out the YouTube Help Centre

Make sure you post a link to your video's once you have them up.

Mike

Hey Guys,

I can vouch for Meth here when i say this is a good watch, well, I can say that cos I'm actually in it.

I think its something everyone can enjoy and relate too. We certainly arent Pro fisho's by any means as you will see, we just have fun fishing. and we managed to jag a couple of good fish doing it.

We put a bit of work into it, as Meth said mostly for a laugh and a visual Diary of our yearly trip shared by four mates. at first it was just for us but a lot of people have seen it now and loved it. and a lot of copies have been made here and there. would love to hear peoples thoughts on our adventures when it is up.

Cheers guys

Allen

How long will each take to Upoad?

Each sequence is about 20 - 30 meg.

Will it take longer depending on the time of day/night i upload them?

Really depends on your connection to the internet. It could take 10 minutes. It could take 30. Basically it's a case of suck it and see. Have a go and see how long it will take :-)

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Methodman and Chewsta and co. I think your videos were a very good watch on youtube, good enough quality and the whole series was a good production and would have sounded better with a series of operatic arias here and there by Guiseppe Di Stephano for example like they do in the movies and would save turning down the volume on some of the modern eighteenth century tribal music which can be a problem for people with hearing aids :D

Reply edited, didn't come over how it was meant to :lol:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

I dont hear the 'Crusty Demons' using Guiseppe Di Stephano???

Last I heard Game Fishing was an extreme sport.

Now if the video was about catching Flathead, Whitting or Gummy sharks i would of used Guiseppe Di Stephano for sure.

Turning the sound down... you would of not heard all of Chewsters stupid calls!

Gota grin and bare it sometimes mate!!!!

Nath

Ive just uploaded our Blue Eye movie as well.

....Now if the video was about catching Flathead, Whitting or Gummy sharks i would of used Guiseppe Di Stephano for sure.

Hi Nathan that was a very good series of videos. We as a family watched your extended videos a couple of times and found them to be very down to earth and enjoyable. Agree that the music is quite modern, while operatic arias in the background seem to catch on alright in the right scenarios these days and really add something to commercials and modern action movies and many watchers seem to indentify with that type of action music in first class fishing as well. For instance a couple of dramatic arias could be tried and selected and in my opinion would go down well as a change of pace while fighting that cobia for instance or winching up the big blue eyed cod as shown in your latest video link. Ever thought of making a professional quality video series and putting it all together, particularly during those trips off Hat Head?

In my opinion a video of a fishing holiday doesn't come much better than that.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

JewGaffer,

Mate im not sure if you have seen or heard of the StateOfOrigin movie from down at JB?

If so i was the maker of that one.

The main sponsor of that was from another fishing site, so im not sure if the Fishraiders have been exposed to it yet.

Nath

Hi nath..

how ya going...

I am not into camera's and all so excuse my ignorance.... but are you able to fit a poloroid lense to video camera's at all??????

so as the colour of the fish in all it's glory just under the surface is able to be seen a lot better....

as in the blue eye video maybe it could of taken the glare visible out of the equation....

just a suggestion nath... maybe one was allready been used... or it can't be done???????

all the same...... keep up the good work.... any thought's been given yet as to jumping into the water

at all and doing any underwater footage.....if so and your keen... i have a spare spot available for the upcoming mako tournie...

should provide some good underwater footage for you and i will even bring a spare pair of undies to hand out if need be.........

jokes aside looks like your having fun..... and that's the name of the game...

Cheers Warnie.....

Warnie

hahahaha Im good mate.

Yep there is a polorised lense you can put on your camera, great for shooting the water but blows out your normal footage of sky, boat and playing silly buggers on land. thats the prob, you need 2 cams running, one for the fish only and one for everything else.. but ill get there mate. All takes time.

That blue eye footage was done on my mates cam and was set up all wrong. But it has been fixed all too late hahaha.

Big boat like yours should have all the cams a man needs .. right????

hahaha

Nath

Edited by Methodman

I dont hear the 'Crusty Demons' using Guiseppe Di Stephano???

Last I heard Game Fishing was an extreme sport.

Now if the video was about catching Flathead, Whitting or Gummy sharks i would of used Guiseppe Di Stephano for sure.

Turning the sound down... you would of not heard all of Chewsters stupid calls!

Gota grin and bare it sometimes mate!!!!

Nath

Ive just uploaded our Blue Eye movie as well.

great vid and good music,whos the music by?