Good Day On The Harbour

Zerko

So I did what hobbitt did and chucked a sickie *cough* *cough*. The trick was to make sure I didn't get sunburnt, so plenty of slip, slop slap with the back of the hand (can't taint the tackle or bait with 30+, can we?).

The day started off very foggy. Hit Tunks Park at about 7. Week days are soooo good to go out on.

Cruised out to Balmoral for yakkas. Maybe it was saltrix we saw under the Spit squidding on the way out. Berleyed up a little north of the beach and there were sweep everywhere. Got 2 yaks amongst the sweep, but the sweep were too annoying. Moved a little, then all we could get was small trevally. Decided to join another boat near the peak that sticks out of Balmoral. Berleyed hard and that brought a lot more yakkas about. Ended up with about 15, so off we went to Middle harbour.

The patterns on the sounder looked promising. Baitfish about and some larger arches below. We knew the kings were still about, but most likely not hitting on the surface. We don't have a downrigger yet, so instead, we used large bean sinkers to get the livie down to the bottom. The wind was right down, so we just drifted really slowly around the head. Two heavy rods out back and flicking SPs for anything else that might show. Last weekend we hooked up on 4 salmon and a decent tailor in the same spot (using bibbed minnows and SPs).

Happily flicking away, when all of a sudden, almost on cue as the light pushed through the fog, the heavy stuff goes off. Well, not that heavy. 20lb mainline and 40lb leader. Grab the rod, wind up the drag and this thing is going like a steam train. It peels line off like crazy. My bro goes, "Do you want me to move the boat out?" as we were only 25m from the cliff. I thought we were in the open enough, but sure enough the hoodlum runs hard into reef or rock ledge. It's holding me in structure down deep, so I give it slack, but nope, I'm caught up. After trying everything to get it free, the 40lb leader rubs through and I'm busted off. Faaaaark! Should have listened to my bro.

Time for another go. The other rod was moved out so I could fight the last one, so this went back in. Almost immediately this one was on. It goes for a run, then snap, broken mainline at the swivel. Probably a dodgy knot. Faaaark! Quick rig up, 2 spit outs and we're back on again. This time we win. Out comes a 72cm. This didn't fight anywhere near as hard as the first so we were very dissapointed with the initial loss.

We kept the burley on (bread, pillies and tuna oil) and had a couple of kings come up for a look. It's pretty exciting when that happens. No more takes at this location, though. Picked up a few pike on the SPs. Nice teeth. Needless to say, the went back in.

Did the Old Man's Hat to North Head drift for no looks.

No more action on the Kings, so we thought we would have a play with the Trevs. Having loads of fun on the light gear and pillie cubes when the heavy rod goes off (couldn't help putting one out the back just in case :)). The rat wraps itself around the anchor line. We pull anchor and get untangled. Boated the 58cm rat. Back in to grow big enough to bust us up in years to come. Continue on with the trevally. The cubes don't even get enough time to get to the bottom before they are smashed. 4 decent plate sized models go into the live well. Then, as fast as they came, they were gone. A couple of pinkies later, we knew it was time. Back to the ramp to clean the fish, then fight the traffic home.

Couldn't have wished for a better sickie (well, apart from losing the hood). Weather was perfect, water was flat as a tack.

Good times.

Jack

post-7368-1210936081_thumb.jpg

Thick, but it means no wind :D

post-7368-1210936112_thumb.jpg

Disco (g7g7) with King

Edited by Zerko

Is that North Head???

If so....wow!

No, not quite. Bit of wave breaking action at North Head. That's Middle Head. We did go out to NH for a look and it was pretty good.

Would have been nice to go out again this weekend, but yeah, bit windy...and cold, not that that is any disincentive for most of you.