Botany Bay 22 May

secki

Hi all decided to head out to the Bay this morning, bad decision, was nice and calm on the ramp, headed out of the cooks into the runway area and was choppy as !

Decision was made quickly to turn back and have a little go near the cooks entrance/radar tower.

Within about 5 mins bang, rod is bent over, thinking its a big bream, but ive never had anything fight like this before.

Anyway 5 mins of battling i wind in my first, wait for it ...Silver Trevally. Ive never eaten them, ive heard good and bad and at 40cm this one was a keeper so i guess ill soon find out what they taste like!

Pic will be up shortly (crappy camera phone)post-6867-1211460247_thumb.jpg

Edited by secki

Hi all decided to head out to the Bay this morning, bad decision, was nice and calm on the ramp, headed out of the cooks into the runway area and was choppy as !

Decision was made quickly to turn back and have a little go near the cooks entrance/radar tower.

Within about 5 mins bang, rod is bent over, thinking its a big bream, but ive never had anything fight like this before.

Anyway 5 mins of battling i wind in my first, wait for it ...Silver Trevally. Ive never eaten them, ive heard good and bad and at 40cm this one was a keeper so i guess ill soon find out what they taste like!

Pic will be up shortly (crappy camera phone)

mate try it for yourself, many dont like them but i reckon they are not too bad. not the tastiest fish but still worth cooking up.

well done on a whopper trev mate.

The Trevally need to be blead, straight away. They are not the best eating fish and bleeding does help. I have also been inform that they do not freeze well, but that it not something that I can tell you much about.

Yeah i kept him alive in my "live catch bucket" till i went home, cut his throat at the ramp, removed the head, gutted and put in the esky, has been in the fridge overnight.

I heard that they are good eaten raw as sushi?

Yes they are excellent fish, but then again there aren't any fish that I wont say that about including Mullett and even Sargeant Baker. I even at some that had been sitting in the sump at the back of the boat where petrol had leaked all over it. Didn't realise until I had begun eating it that it had a 'petrol marinade' - still tasted good. I have frozen them before to use as bait and the flesh turns soft and mushy.

If you catch one throw burely overboard and wait till you get the school going... then you'll start pulling them in one after the other. Great looking fish and heavy fighters soo!