Flyfishing In Darwin

erwin

Hi Raiders,

Newish member, first report. I just returned from a business trip to Darwin which I managed to squeeze a days fishing into. Having organised a guide to take me sight fly fishing for Barra at Crab Claw Island, Bynoe Harbour the preceeding weeks were hard to take. Lenny picked me up from my hotel at 5.45am for the 1.5 hour drive to Bynoe. During the trip Lenny explained the tides weren't great but what can you when you only have one day available. Anyhow to cut a long story short we motored out to the mouth of the harbour to get out of the wind and started seeing barra straight away as well as Threadfin Salmon and Blue Salmon.

I ended up landing 4 barra, 2 threadies and a stack of queenies and small Gt's, all on fly. My best Barra went 75cm and was caught in 18 inches of water, exciting stuff. My best Threadie also went 75cm and fought like a demon. Finished the day eating some mud crabs a pro gave us on the water which were fantastic. I can highly recommend the guides and the experience of fishing this location.

Can some one tell me how to attach photos please so i can attach a photo of the barra.

Edited by erwin

That's a great catch of fish on fly & especially when you have just one day to do it.

The fishing & the variety of fish up there is awesome,ive been on trips for 10days

up that way & cape york,you still can't get enough.Gotta love barra on fly too!

Great first report mate,well done.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Sounds like a great day with average tides Erwin. Well done!

Who did you go out with? I'm thinking of taking a trip to Bynoe to fly & lure fish, I'd be interested in you guide choice

Regards

Rod

Sounds like a great day with average tides Erwin. Well done!

Who did you go out with? I'm thinking of taking a trip to Bynoe to fly & lure fish, I'd be interested in you guide choice

Regards

Rod

Hi Rod,

The guides name is Lenny from NT Sport Fishing and his mobile number is 0418 321 148. He only uses the mobile number as he is out on the water a fair bit. I can't recommend him enough, fantastic bloke, down to earth and he knows his stuff. He also helps out another guide who works out of Crab Claw Island, which is in Bynoe Hbr, and this is also where he launches from. Lenny has all the gear, flys, quality fly rods and reels as well as spin gear if necessary. If you use him you will have a ball.

Good luck.

Erwin.

Erwin thats sounds awsome and you extracted some great fish too. Havnt been connected to a Threadfin yet.

Mmmmmm muddies are tops, especially cooked on the fire when your out in the scrub.

I remember i caught one on a hand line a few years back and it chopped my thong (shoe that is :1prop: ) completely in half like a knife thru butter.

Dont they have strong winds up there this time of year? I heard it can blow for 3 months straight?

Cheers Cam