Double Hook Up - One Hook

Wammo

Went up to Forster to do the overnight fishing session Friday night. Left work a little early 1:30pm. Picked up a mate on the way and managed to have a line in the water by 4:45pm. Wasn't long before I had hooked a big tailor (perfect bait for either Jews or Bream). Speaking of which do people now that tailor guts are the most sensational bream bait? Anyway with that in hand managed to convert that fish into about 8 good sized bream. Swapped spots for only 1 more good bream and no jew runs. Hit the sack at 11pm.

Got up at 5:30 - quick heart starter and off again to the rocks. Gorgeous morning and the tailor were on straight away and we bagged 8 before they went off. Swapped to bream again for 4 reasonable fish and a few suspect jew runs??? Alas no jews but did have a first for me.

I was fishing a classic running sinker down to a swivel then leader down to a 2/0 bream hook. I pulled in what i predicted to be a s..t fish (i.e. rockcod). I was right but to my amazement there were two fish on my line. I have heard of lots of double hook-ups but all with 2 hooks. Has anyone else seen something like this? Turns out the smaller one had the hook in its mouth and the larger one had obviously been harmering the bait only to get the line caught in its mouth and behind its gills. Photo care of mobile so not so clear.

Finished the day going for black fish and being handed a thorough lesson by an old professional fisho. Pulled 6 boys out from under my nose before I decided to clean my fish and jump in the car to head back to Sydney (we were up there less than 24 hours). Got back to Sydney by 2pm Sat.

Great way to feel like you packed a lot into the weekend.

Cheers

Wammo

post-2555-1211754776_thumb.jpg

well done mate....

we often pull two fish on the one rig. We use a keeper hook for whiting to help keep on the nippers in the surf. Its not uncommon to pull a whiting on the main lon shank hook and another on the keeper hook at the same time.

And once....my cousin was once again fishing for whiting and hooked 2 fish on the same hook without a keeper hook at all. Both fish pierced through the mouth on the one shank. I near fell over when i saw it!

Nice effort on the Forster excursion.

When I was in high school, living in Tuncurry, my old man and i were drifting for flathead in really clear water and we watched this monster flattie coming to the surface, about 70-80cm, only to get it 4-5 foot from the boat and watch it kick away. I threw my handline in the bottom of the boat, cursing like a sailor only to pick it up and land a nice pan size flattie. Once again, the smaller fish had swum the line around the gills of the larger one. Would have lett he big one go anyway but a photo would've been nice.

It makes for a great story though!

Well done, Wammo! That really was a flying visit! Good results tho! :) It is fishing heaven up here! Got the choice of about 8 beaches within 10mins of home - how good is that??

Great results with the tailor - can't wait for the blackies to come into the lake system a bit more!

Cheerio

Roberta