Screaming Yellow Zonkers

Rabs

Hello fellow raiders,

As many reports have been added about the YFT in the last 10 days and for fear of sounding monotonous, we headed east to Browns yesterday morning and 6 miles southeast of the mount we started the drift. Quite a few boats out. Anyway things are fairly slow, a nearby boat landed a 50kg fin on 15kg (great effort) about 2pm and the odd report during the day but nothing of note.

We stuck with it and things started to pick up late with the sun lower in the sky about 5pm. We had fin feeding at the back of the boat and soon had double hookup on 24kg. About 25 minutes later boated 2 solid fin, first fish was 40kg and the second 50kg. Sent another bait out about 10 metres and bang, this time the 24kg outfit was screaming and this was definitely a better fish than the 2 already boated. Unfortunately the hook pulled.

If you are looking for the good fin then the bite at the moment is late afternoon with only the odd fish during the day. Got in about 8.30pm - long day but the conditions were great. Thanks to all the boys.

I will post the photo's later today.

Before I forget, who ever owns a 7metres Sailfish with a dark blue hull and powered by Johnsons needs to learns some manners about trolling up berley slicks. Not only did they do it to us but I heard a least another boat trying to call the same boat up, no doubt to give them the same advice. I hate that. There is alot of water out there, please consider others and think about the direction of the drift. (I needed to get that off my chest)

post-4948-1211971686_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Rabs.

Edited by Rabs

hi Rabs sounds like you guys had a great day out there it is a slow hual back in the dark.What was the temp out there .

I agree with you some people have no manners .

cheers Clifford

Hi Clifford,

The temp was 21.5C. The water was a great colour but the glassy condition on darkness made for a 25kt run home - still took nearly 1hr30min.

Cheers,

Rabs

Well done rabs,

I was out yesterday we headed out late S.E of browns and had the fin at the boat within 10 mins of pulling up.

Some serious fish were in in our trail..

We only hooked 1 fin but after 45mins grinding away on the Penn 9500 the 15kg line finally wore through.

Note to self im using braid from now on..

All and all great to see such massive fish in our trail.

Well done rabs,

I was out yesterday we headed out late S.E of browns and had the fin at the boat within 10 mins of pulling up.

Some serious fish were in in our trail..

We only hooked 1 fin but after 45mins grinding away on the Penn 9500 the 15kg line finally wore through.

Note to self im using braid from now on..

All and all great to see such massive fish in our trail.

Hi Grimo,

We had International and Tiagra with nothing short of 24kg in the water. As you said there are some good fin out there and to spend alot of time on 15kg or even 10kg is time wasting especially when they are feeding at the back of the boat. We didn't want to spend all night fighting a good fish on light tackle. Just a word on the braid, I have a new international VSX with 80lb braid and top shot of 50lb mono - Great outfit for cubing and livebaiting. Make sure you have that topshot of mono to give the outfit that stretch at hookup. We also use fluorcarbon leader and circle hooks. The fluoro is great for fincky fish.

Hi Uglystik,

Channel 10 VHF and Channel 82 27Meg. All fish were taken on the cube.

Cheers,

Rabs

Edited by Rabs

Having fish behind the boat is a good effort... seems to me that you've achieved this as easily as it is to entice yakkas underneath a Sydney Harbour wharf. Do you throw the single cube over every 30secs or so initially to get this happening or do you throw a handful or two in the water first up?

Edited by plankton

Having fish behind the boat is a good effort... seems to me that you've achieved this as easily as it is to entice yakkas underneath a Sydney Harbour wharf. Do you throw the single cube over every 30secs or so initially to get this happening or do you throw a handful or two in the water first up?

Hi Plankton,

If you haven't done cubing before or fished for YFT then please take someone who has or join the charters - Glenn or Ross Hunter. The idea is to cube pilchards and/or striped tuna through the water column at a rate (30sec or thereabouts) and as each cude drifts down the fish are draw towards the source ie the boat where the baits (either cube and/or livebaits ) are placed. A bit like food on the trail leading the bear to the trap. Ideally the cube with the hooks should be stripped back at the same rate as the drift so they fall in water naturally. Once the fish picks up the bait and runs, your slowly increase the drag setting the circle hook. Then it is all upto you. These fish will have you dancing around the cockpit especially having 2 good fish on a double hook-up. The fish is the easy part, the hard part comes having to fend off the heckles from the peanut gallery while fighting the fish. Cubing is all about being patient and keeping the faith. Many hours can go into getting a good result. Best of luck.

Grimo,

If you check out Gamefishing Techniques there is a thread which talks all about this topic - braid/mono etc.

Cheers,

Rabs.

hi rabs ,top report

ive always used j,s for cubing, down at the bermagui yft tourni i gave circles a go and dropped a few fish,im putting that down to technique

got 2 questions for you

with j,s you normally hit them up straight away ,do you with circles apply drag straight away when you get a strike or give em a second or two

what type ,brand and size (hook)

cheers arman

what type ,brand and size (hook)

cheers arman

Hi Arman...

as well as rab's getting back to you try

9/0 Owner ssw in line circles....

you will find by the time you are able to think about going to strike on the fish

he's allready hooked himself and hit the afterburners.....

Cheers Warnie...

Hi Arman...

you will find by the time you are able to think about going to strike on the fish

Cheers Warnie...

thanks warnie

ive got a couple of questions for you too mate if you dont mind

how do you bait up the pillies with the circles as in to not close up the gape so the circle does it s thing

and do you crimp your hook through the eye or through the eye and around the shank of the hook as you would do when fishn for stick heads

thanks again

cheers arman

thanks warnie

ive got a couple of questions for you too mate if you dont mind

how do you bait up the pillies with the circles as in to not close up the gape so the circle does it s thing

and do you crimp your hook through the eye or through the eye and around the shank of the hook as you would do when fishn for stick heads

thanks again

cheers arman

bait the pillie and treat it as you would a j hook if the hook is hidden so much the better..

though you will find due to the wideish gape that it will protrude.... have no concern with it doing it's thing

it will lodge in the corner of the mouth 9 times out of ten.... that tenth time being in the gut...

do away with crimps and tie the hook on as far as fishing for y/fin goes.......with a standard loop crimped with chaff tube at the top end of the trace for connection to the swivel.... my traces consist of 80lb ande as t standard faire dropping to 60lb if the fish are being

tentative..otherwise straight through to the mainline if they are being super shy......

the way the fish are at presently they are not shying away to easily.....

Cheers Warnie.....

Hi Plankton,

If you haven't done cubing before or fished for YFT then please take someone who has or join the charters - Glenn or Ross Hunter. The idea is to cube pilchards and/or striped tuna through the water column at a rate (30sec or thereabouts) and as each cude drifts down the fish are draw towards the source ie the boat where the baits (either cube and/or livebaits ) are placed. A bit like food on the trail leading the bear to the trap. Ideally the cube with the hooks should be stripped back at the same rate as the drift so they fall in water naturally. Once the fish picks up the bait and runs, your slowly increase the drag setting the circle hook. Then it is all upto you. These fish will have you dancing around the cockpit especially having 2 good fish on a double hook-up. The fish is the easy part, the hard part comes having to fend off the heckles from the peanut gallery while fighting the fish. Cubing is all about being patient and keeping the faith. Many hours can go into getting a good result. Best of luck.

Grimo,

If you check out Gamefishing Techniques there is a thread which talks all about this topic - braid/mono etc.

Cheers,

Rabs.

Thanks man... will let you know how we do tomorrow!

Edited by plankton

When i fish with circle hooks as soon as i feel the line running in my hands i slam the reel in gear instantly and hook up id say around 99% of the time..

i place a single cube in the water and when it is around 3m off the back of the boat i place another... i also soak my pillie cubes in tuna oil!

and when the fish are in my trail and wont take my whole pillies throw ur 9/0 with a single cube that has been in ur tuna oil and u hook up everytime..

also use 80Lb fluro. and 50lb mono 4 main!

all knots are tied and no crimps either!

Hi Arman...

Cheers Warnie...

Hi Arman and Warnie,

I use 9/0 Owner or Eagle Claw circles with 100lb Fluoro. I have been keeping the leader short - to play the fish from the rod tip as this minimises the pressure of taking the leader in hand and pulling the hooks. The fluoro is great for knot strength and virtually invisible when in the water. As for the strike on the circles, I let the fish run and rather than strike with the rod tip as you would with J hooks, I point the rod at water level slowly increasing the drag to strike. No problems, hookup in the corner of the mouth. Warnie, I agree the fish does most of the work for you in setting the hook.

As for fishing straight 50lb to the hook (no leader) the fish are ready and willing at the moment. We all hope they remain that way. As Spikey has mentioned a bit of tuna oil on the bait board amonst the pillie cubes is a must.

Cheers,

Rabs