Not All The Tuna Are At Browns!

Steve07

How hot is the tuna fishin off sydney at the moment?Definately the best its been for many year's especially

for yellowfin over the 40kg plus mark.

Well decided to head out late yesterday arvo with my mate Manni who was kind enough to be waiting at

the boat ramp jetty with bait & tackle ready for me to get there after work at 2.30pm,jump on board his

big 6.10m quinnie & head out for a quick cube session,but this time go south of botany heads & find the

good 21%plus water temp a few miles over the shelf.

Got to some marks that Manni assured me are proven & productive area's for yellowfin in the last couple of

years on his GPS,there with 21.8% water temp decided to stop & set up a cube trail.

The first cube went in the water at 4pm & after an hour of constant berley right on 5pm Manni with his extra

long strips down the trail got the first hit.The reel screamed,lever pushed up & rod buckled to the sight &

sound we all love to here with a tuna peeling line off the reel.

To our suprise & against the normal size fish we have been getting in the last couple of weeks,it was a small

rat fin of about 12kg.

Then my bait was sent out,but didnt go more than 10mts before the line went tight, the reel picked up

speed & the hook set to my first fish of the arvo,after a short but very spirited fight another small tuna of

15kg was aboard.

We got another 2 fish each of similar size,before the sun had disappeared from the horizon & the deck

lights began to takeover.By now our berley trail was getting heavier & faster,by this i mean the cubes were

half pillies & a handful at a time,hoping for maybe 1 big fish.

The fish were right at the back & taking the cubes off the surface,with hookups happening within 3 or 4 strips

off the reel,we couldnt see much in the dark but the action was just awesome fun.

But by 6pm when we decided it was getting too late & we were both pretty stuffed,fighting fish,tracing &

gaffing our own fin due to double hookups,we had caught 12 yellowfin from 10 to 15kg.

We kept 7 fish & released another 5,got back to the ramp at 7.30pm with another couple of hours cleaning

the boat & fish.

No big fish this time,but it was still great fun being out there & getting amongst these great little fighting

yellowfin,that's what its all about.

But getting up this morning at 4am for work was pretty bloody hard,should have taken a sickie but then i

would probably have had another mate looking to take me out to browns again today.

Back at the ramp last night,another boat had a fish of around 55kg & lost a much bigger one at the gaff

when it broke & the fish busted them off,i think they were north.

Get out there & have some fun on this great run of tuna!!

Cheers

Nexus

Edited by nexus

Wow! What an afternoon Nexus! :thumbup:

It's great to be able to read reports like yours.

I would love to get out there and catch my first fin. Been reading everything I can and hopefully will get out in a mate's boat soon. From what I can see, we need "many" blocks" of pillies for cubing, and a water temp of 21.5+? Any other advice?

Thanks for a great report

Cheers

Peter

NIce little session there, fin that size would be perfect on a fly rod!

Mmmmm fin on fly, maybe that's the next one after one on a popper.

Hi GregL

My mate that owns a 35ft bertram"SPINDRIFT"was out cubing on sunday,then decided after a few fish caught to pull

out his top notch heavy fly rod for a crack at the yellowfin in the cube trail.

Well he hooked up an estimated 45 kegga & after a 2 hour fight on the fly rod,his very expensive fly reel

couldnt take any more & the big fish just blew it apart,swimming off & leaving Jeff a shattered man.

Goodluck if you decide to give it a go,but if the fish are like the 15kg one's yesterday,then they would be

perfect for fly gear of good quality.

Steve

Will they still be there on Friday... your thoughts??

Nothing is for certain as you know in fishin,but im sure there is a great chance they will be out there &

i reckon friday would be the best day to go,as on the weekend every man & his dog will be

there too.But its a waiting game as well,do you go early & put it a long day,hoping to get a crack at them

morning,midday & late or will they come on the bite again like yesterday around 4 to 5pm.

Its a lot of pillies if you go all day,but if you go late & get a nice fish or 2 on,then its a long run back in the

dark as well.

There were a few boats out yesterday at browns that didn't turn a reel,so nothing is guaranteed you just

get out there & give it a good go.

cheers mate

Steve

Spoke to Manny on the phone and he said he managed to get crew last minute, and find some fish late in the day. Well done to both of you !

We pulled the pin for Zero's at 2.30, we had a feeling they'd come on the chew, pity we couldn't hang around.

Chris

its fantastic to have so many quality fish at our doorstep so to speak,Nexus you should of had the day of and went the following as well ,cause this time of year you can fish without looking like youve been to a solarium

top fishing ,awsome report with hopfully more fish to come

cheers arman

Nothing is for certain as you know in fishin,but im sure there is a great chance they will be out there &

i reckon friday would be the best day to go,as on the weekend every man & his dog will be

there too.But its a waiting game as well,do you go early & put it a long day,hoping to get a crack at them

morning,midday & late or will they come on the bite again like yesterday around 4 to 5pm.

Its a lot of pillies if you go all day,but if you go late & get a nice fish or 2 on,then its a long run back in the

dark as well.

There were a few boats out yesterday at browns that didn't turn a reel,so nothing is guaranteed you just

get out there & give it a good go.

cheers mate

Steve

Cool will let you know how we do...