How Far Out For Yft

So as i said all the reports on here about blokes killing the YFT has got me curious to say the least. How far out do you have to go to be able to get 'em. Would be launching anywhere from Wollongong to kiama. I go out in a 5m 1/2 cabin boat with a 90hp so dont want to push my luck, is it possible for me???

Edited by hookenup

So as i said all the reports on here about blokes killing the YFT has got me curious to say the least. How far out do you have to go to be able to get 'em. Would be launching anywhere from Wollongong to kiama. I go out in a 5m 1/2 cabin boat with a 90hp so dont want to push my luck, is it possible for me???

Gdayyyyyy mate,

Its a fair way out and in a 5 mt boat you might want to tag along with a few buddies.

Browns Mountain is about 40 klms out and you may drift further whilst cubing.

Need good saftey gear and a VHF radio and EPRIB and at least double the amount of fuel you would need to get there and back IMHO

For this type of trip you have to have a very reliable boat and you must log on with the relevant Coastal Patrol or Coastguard from whichever port you leave from.

Details of how many on board

Type of Vessel

ETA (estimated time of arrival)

And also contact numbers like mob etc and thats minimum.

Cheers Stewy

Mate the best spot to get amongst the fish in your area would be wide out at the Kiama Canyons,they are

fishing very well too,with A few 60keggas mixed in with the 30 to 45kg YFT.But there are also quite a few

albacore there in the 8 to 12kg size,my mate's got 5 of them last week,along with a couple of yellowfin.

Its a fair way out,so you have to be very confident & sure that your boat will handle the distance.Not alot

of boats fish that area,so its best to team up with at least another boat to keep an eye out for each other.

Checking the forecast is very important as well,you don't want to be out there when a 30knot southerly is

coming up.

If i was you & was dying to get out for tuna,the best thing would be to hitch a ride out with a boat & crew that have been there & done it before,you will get a feel for what its all about & you will learn plenty in

that one trip that will give you some confidence to do it yourself another time.

You will probably have a better chance to get a nice fish as well!!

cheers

Steve

Gday mate,

I often launch from Kiama to the canyons and its about 30k from the harbour.

There have been heaps of albacore on the shelf at Kiama and some fin at the canyons but the good water has pushed out a bit wider now.(but you will get em on the cube thereP)

If your motor is reliable and you log on with Coastal patrol At Port, on a good day (like they have been lately) you shouldnt have a problem out there, theres always others fishing at the canyons also.

Cheers

LUke

Mate the best spot to get amongst the fish in your area would be wide out at the Kiama Canyons,they are

fishing very well too,with A few 60keggas mixed in with the 30 to 45kg YFT.But there are also quite a few

albacore there in the 8 to 12kg size,my mate's got 5 of them last week,along with a couple of yellowfin.

Its a fair way out,so you have to be very confident & sure that your boat will handle the distance.Not alot

of boats fish that area,so its best to team up with at least another boat to keep an eye out for each other.

Checking the forecast is very important as well,you don't want to be out there when a 30knot southerly is

coming up.

cheers

Steve

Thanks swordfisherman, steve and luke, yeah guys there will be another boat going if we decide to make the trip, im confident in the ability of the boat and motor, it's an older mustang hull in good condition and the motor only has 25hrs on it, we got all the safety gear, my mates boat is old aswell with a 115 johnson so he's keen for us to go together aswell. I was thinking the canyons might be ok have read reports about guys fishing there,

cheers for the help.

Edited by hookenup