Iron Cove - 31/05/08

Went under the Iron Cove bridge yesterday morning just before the run out tide with my first packet of Gulps.

I decided not to use them first and started flicking a clear grub for the first 30 minutes without much luck apart from getting a few hits from some chopper tailor...

It got to a point when I was I was hoping one of them would bite the tail off my grub just so I could switch over to one of these gulps...

Several casts later my prayers were answered... but not in the way I hoped... the 6lb leader malfunctioned and the jig and grub went into the water without any line attatched to it.

I tied on a new jighead and out came the gulp 3" fry. I did a test cast in close just to see its action... it didnt exactly have swim or wriggle action like a squidgie... it just sank vertically and darted around in random directions when i flicked the rod tip... I didnt exactly find my prospects promising, but after a couple of casts, I was getting hits but my drag wasnt tight enough... not long after setting the drag with the right amount of tension I hook on to my first trevally on SP...

Back he went after a quick photo and for the next hour I was getting constant hits and hooked several flatties of varying sizes... nothing huge but still fun on light gear... and one awesome sight was to see a couple of flathead following the jig all the way to the surface...

A few flatheads later, I noticed the 6lb leader was getting a bit worn... I should have retied the jig but was lazy and not long after that... something hits the jig hard and the leader malfunctions again...

With the bite being so hot, I decided to give the clear grubs another chance... which resulted in a couple more flathead and some chopper tailor... which eventually chewed off the tail...

Being satisfied with my results, I called it a day... All fish were released to fight another day...

• 2 weeks later...