Please Help Me Fix My Bike

hottyscotty

I've posted up a photo and as you can see the crank has came loose from the spindle. its only loose and doesn't come off completely

what tools do i need and how do i fix it?

i wish i could explain it a bit more but i'm not mechanically inclined

post-3052-1212370949_thumb.jpg

The slotted cover you see ( generally hard plastic) is easilly removed with a large bladed screwdriver. anticlockwise.

Inside you will see a standard , probably 12mm nut. Just tighten it with a suitable socket ( many sockets are too thick in the walls ) or tube spanner. You may want to slip the assembly off and check thee is no visible burs on the shaft or damage to the spline- unless you've riden it for ages like it it will be OK.

If you don't have tools it will take your local bike shop 2 minutes if there is no damage. Just tell them your cotterless crank nut is loose and you don't have a tube spanner to tighten it and they will be happy to do it I would think. Any of your mates with a bike tool kit would probably have the correct size as most nuts are 1 of 3 sizes.

Cheers

Edited by pelican

You may want to slip the assembly off and check thee is no visible burs on the shaft

:pokey:

or damage to the spline- unless you've riden it for ages like it it will be OK.

:whip:

If you don't have tools;

:biggrin2:

Just tell them your cotterless crank nut is loose and you don't have a tube spanner to tighten it and they will be happy to do it I would think. as most nuts are 1 of 3 sizes.

:action-smiley-073:

Cheers

Good advice Pel,

We are talking about the bicycle arn't we? :1naughty:

Carl still laughing at the look on your face whith your new launch procedure where you wash the trailer as well Cassic!!!! Then to take the engineer with you. Shame someone didn't have a video.Only ever seen it doen with a tinny.

Glad the new boat is a goer- the owners site makes them out to be a pretty good riding well made boat.

Pel

Hey mate

I have just recently "retired" from downhill mountain bike riding.......i saw that problem all to often with my cranksets on previous bikes and on mates bikes.

It causes such a hassel i tried everything loctite, electrical tape, plumbers tape, super glue jsut about everything :1prop: but ended up replacing the 3 peice crankset in the end which cost me $300 off a mate. I found that by pulling your crank set occasionally removing any sand/dirt can also help in slowing or even stopping the crank falling off.

I also experienced by just tightening the crank nut/bolt up it will stop the crank from comming loose temporarily...but after a while the crank itself had started to wear away around the bolt casuing issues.

cheers james

Edited by james1990