Ballooning From A Breakwall

Kirks

hey guys

I am on a new idea of using a balloon as a float off the many breakwall we have. Couple of questions, how do i fix the balloon to my leader so that once the fish takes it it pops free, secondly should i run the balloon on my leader or mainline (mainline being 50 or 65lb braid). and lastly how do you get the livey out without a casting reel (my reel being a saltist 50).

thanks in advance

Steve

P.S is there any one here who does this type of stuff and fishes the tubes or any of those other LBG places?

Edited by Kirkby

hey steve

1 never tye the balloon to braid it will snap the braid

2 tye the balloon to the leader using balloon stub this acts like a spring

3throw the livey out like a hand line[no circles]use the back wash off the rocks to get it out the back

as mentioned in pre.posts the tubes is a very hairy spot and only the very experianced rock hopper should attempt to fish there

there are many good spots that are a lot safer to get to

were do you live i would be glade to give away my rock hopping spot x es as i'm to old to go to these spots anymore

yes to old and to lazy lol

gary

hey steve

1 never tye the balloon to braid it will snap the braid

2 tye the balloon to the leader using balloon stub this acts like a spring

3throw the livey out like a hand line[no circles]use the back wash off the rocks to get it out the back

as mentioned in pre.posts the tubes is a very hairy spot and only the very experianced rock hopper should attempt to fish there

there are many good spots that are a lot safer to get to

were do you live i would be glade to give away my rock hopping spot x es as i'm to old to go to these spots anymore

yes to old and to lazy lol

gary

Hey Brickman,

Are the tubes on the north side of newport headland? I went down for a look last weekend, but the only way i could see to get down was a dodgy rope... I wasn't too game to try it...

hey

i dont fish the tubes just wanting to see if anyone else does. How ever i have been hearing the great catches from down south and wanted to see if anyone has done any of that stuff

i mainly fish the breakwalls of forster where Roberta lives and yamba.

steve

The "TUBES " or torpedo tubes are on the northern headland of Jervis Bay and access is via the target range near Currarong or the Lighthouse Road to Point Perpendicular.

This spot is best served with a torpedo float as it will take your live bait out with little current or wind.These are best to use for yellowtail and slimies.

Usually you only use a balloon to use larger live baits like bonito ,frigates and big pike or small striped tuna.

You can make a 2 to 3 metre trace of say 100 lb with a ball bearing swivel near the double or plait and a large game hook at the other end, grab your self a short piece of mono around a foot long in the 4 to 6 kg line class and tie one end to the swivel and one end to the balloon.

When a large fish pulls the balloon under it will pop off leaving you with just your mainline and trace and no other impedence.

NB. DO NOT USE ANY HEAVIER MONO FOR THE BALLOON THAN 4 OR 6 KG AS THE BALLOON WILL NOT BREAK FREE

Most of the bigger live baits will tow your balloon out for you nps at all :biggrin2: just drop em in the drink.

Cheers Stewy

hey james only if i dribble,

swordy has the tubes possy spot on[must be a vet.lbgf]

2 off the best spots i used to fish were the ovens[south whale]bugger off a walk and i wouldent recomend the short cut

and barranjoey head land again bugger off a walk but this head land can be fished all the way around so it can be fished from someware regardless off swell or wind and was my fav. for 20 years

wish my knees were 20 years younger gary

hey guys

I am on a new idea of using a balloon as a float off the many breakwall we have. Couple of questions, how do i fix the balloon to my leader so that once the fish takes it it pops free, secondly should i run the balloon on my leader or mainline (mainline being 50 or 65lb braid). and lastly how do you get the livey out without a casting reel (my reel being a saltist 50).

thanks in advance

Steve

P.S is there any one here who does this type of stuff and fishes the tubes or any of those other LBG places?

Mate at the tubes its much better to fish a float rather than a balloon, balloons have a nasty habit of catching lines when they drift by. Also i hope you have your gum boots on as the track to the tubes with any rain is like a creek 20cm deep that you have to trudge through for 20mins, then the bush starts and you'll be on that for a bit more as well, then you will probably get nice and muddy going down the steep bit to get down there.

Good luck though, I know i have done it before in those conditions, didn't get anything though, dirty water.

By the way when i got my LBG medium LBG reel (Tyrnos 30) this year i put 80lb braid on it. It did 3 trips and i took it all off! It broke at 15kg which p'd me right off and it dug in on itself and when it touched the rocks it got damaged so easily. I now run 44lb mono on it and i have approx 550-600m on it and recomend mono over braid ANY DAY on the rocks for live baiting.

Balloons are great when there is an off shore breeze or as previously mentioned when using larger baits. Depending on how far you want your bait to go a balloon is a lot more visable then a float as well, especally in a bit of a swell. If your fishing close or in a crowd, any large float will do.

I always tied my balloons on so they didnt break away on strike, I wanted them still attached when the fish got close, as it is a very good indicator where the fish was in the wash and any sudden direction changes (Which southern bluefin always did) are much more obvious, it also showed me where my double ended and leader started. Plus there was one less piece of plastic floating around the ocean.

Havent fished the tubes in about 25 years and the last time at Tomaree was about 10 years ago. These days its easier chasing them in a boat.

Edited by Mick