Seen One Of These?

changa

Went out sunday arriving at browns after 1pm, took my dad, my bro and my son and battled the slop and tried to have a bash at browns. It was blowing a gale and trying to get to the bottom was not easy.

We did manage to catch a uncommon fish called an OPAH .

Opah are a pelagic that hang with marlin and tuna but have been caught down deep also.

They are very nice eating and are held in high regard by Tuna pros that occasionally catch them on their long lines and they fetch very good prices at market and turn up at nice restaurants on their CATCH OF THE DAY menus.

Anways, thought i'd share it with you guys & gals just in case you catch one and thought to yourself :1yikes: instead of :thumbup::yahoo:

Opah, or Moonfish

OPAHMOONFISH2.jpg

cheers

changa

Great fish Brett and brilliant colours.

Would make a great wall mount :thumbup:

I hope you submit this Opah as a new fishraider record for the species :biggrin2:

Congratulations to your crew.

Cheers Swordfisherman

Changa,

It is a strange but beautifully coloured fish. Looks like there is enough there to keep the whole tribe fed.

Gotta put it in fish of the month, I doubt that there will be another one of them in it and its a bit of a change from all the YFT and Blue Eye that have been posted of late.

GOOB

What an amazing fish :1yikes: Definitely a species I have not seen before.

How would you fillet something like that? :074:

A beautiful fish, mate, and congratulations on your new Fishraider record :biggrinthumb:

Hodgey

What an amazing fish :1yikes: Definitely a species I have not seen before.

How would you fillet something like that? :074:

A beautiful fish, mate, and congratulations on your new Fishraider record :biggrinthumb:

Hodgey

Hodgey,

filleting is not that difficult with a nice sharp knife and some helf from a friend to help hold back the flesh whilst you fillet. They have a very hard breast plate(you can see where the rib aree is missing) that you have to cut around but apart from that, there is not many bones at all.

opah2.jpg

changa

ps. i have no idea how you submit for fish of the month, and being caught sunday, that would make it a fish for June wouldnt it?

Great photo mate. Looks like there is a fair slab of fine-tasting meat there :thumbup:

Yep, your fish would definitely qualify for June Catch of the Month. The thread for June's fish is currently being worked on. This link explains:

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=31330

Look for the link (hopefully) tomorrow, then submit your fish as you would any other post. Good luck mate!

Hodgey

Wow the meat is pink!

Looks like Atlantic salmon, let us know what it tastes like please. I thought it would have had a white coloured meat as most deep water fish I have caught have had.

Happy eating!

G

Might have to invest in one of those electric reels now.

Wow the meat is pink!

Looks like Atlantic salmon, let us know what it tastes like please. I thought it would have had a white coloured meat as most deep water fish I have caught have had.

Happy eating!

G

Might have to invest in one of those electric reels now.

I was also very surprised to see that the flesh ranged from a dark pink to salmon coloured and even a tinge of orange.

I have read that they are known to differ in flesh colour in different areas of the fish.

It cooks up white, and my brother has already had a meal of it and said it was absolutley LUSH!!!

Im lookin forward to a meal of it myself.

will certainly let you know what its like.

changa

very interesting.

I think they are a rare catch because they primarily eat jellyfish.

I saw a cast of one about the same size in an italian restaurant in melbourne

congrats

I'd love to see any more photos if you have them

Nice catch there changa :thumbup: . I recently saw one of these in the local fish shop, slightly smaller than yours and it was selling for $40 a kilo! Interested to know what it tasted like.

Never seen one being caught before. What did it take? Want to know just in case one accidentally wanders into the harbour.

Cheers.

Nice catch there changa :thumbup: . I recently saw one of these in the local fish shop, slightly smaller than yours and it was selling for $40 a kilo! Interested to know what it tasted like.

Never seen one being caught before. What did it take? Want to know just in case one accidentally wanders into the harbour.

Cheers.

The Opah is a pelagic, not a demersal. It eats squids and other fishes and usually hunts similar areas to marlins and tunas.

This particular one was caught on a whole squid set as a deep bait on 37kg game tackle.

We were certainly NOT targetting it (how can you target something you have never caught.......lol)

Royboy, i belive they are quite expensive and not that common but they do certainly get caught occasionally by pros mainly.

Very pretty fish.

OPAHMOONFISH1.jpg

changa

Edited by changa

Kamil,

they dont smell at all and yes, we ate some fresh as i filleted it. was very nice and i later found out that they are great sashimi but when cleaning the fish on the dock in the dark and rain, i could not be bothered jumping back on the boat and mixing up some soy and fresh chopped chillis and wasabi :1prop:

changa

Changa,

I've sought some guidance from a wise old Greek fisherman, commonly known hereabouts as RED. He tells me the name OPAH is derived from the Greek meaning "you little ripper" :yahoo: , which can commonly be heard yelled out loudly by persons of Greek ancestry when they are on to a good thing. :thumbup:

I'm pretty sure you and the boys may have yelled out your own version when you saw what you had on.

GOOB

...OPAH is derived from the Greek meaning "you little ripper" :yahoo: , which can commonly be heard yelled out loudly by persons of Greek ancestry ..

.. or at Mykanos on Crown

Nice catch !

Did it put up much of a fight?

being a pelagic, they are able to dive to great depths and ascend fast also without blowing up.

It had my bent butt 37 t curve with taigra 80W bent in half pulling off much more than 15kg of drag at stages. its the best fighting bottom species caught to date. All i need now is a Broadie :1prop:

changa