Yamaha Vs Mercury?

Hugeted

Hi Raiders,

I am currently looking at buying a new 15 hp 2 Stroke outboard for around $2200.

It appears that both Mercury (USA Model) and Yamaha have products to suit.

Can any convince me why i should buy one brand over another?

Thanks for your advice.

Cheers

Ted :beersmile:

mercury users will say mercury & yamaha users will say yamaha,I would suggest you pm huey and give him details of what you are after and application(ie boat type,size)and take advantage of his always sensible free advice.

Stephen

:1fishing1:

Boat show is coming up so check you aren't buying an old model. Someone on here had a small motor for sale with only a few hours on it so you might want to check out swap and sell. Then call huey and tell him what hours you do, what boat etc and see what he says.

Pel

Boat show is coming up so check you aren't buying an old model. Someone on here had a small motor for sale with only a few hours on it so you might want to check out swap and sell. Then call huey and tell him what hours you do, what boat etc and see what he says.

Pel

Hi There,

When is the boat show and where?

July 31st Darling harbour sydney

http://www.sydneyboatshow.com.au/

Ask the dealers what "' boat show specials " as they often do them on the smaller motors supported by the manufacturer and to get you into their shop.

Don't limit yourself to only those brands as you also have Tohatsu, suzuki and johno ,evinrude. Lots of competition and differences between motors at approx 15hp. Some of the boat magizines will have done comparisons and there will be websites a swell. Even though it is a small motor it still has to be set up correctly propped right so make sure your dealer is happy to make sure you get the right prop.

Pel

Edited by pelican

Hi Ted, if you have narrowed it down to those two brands than this is how I would rate the 15HPs. With Mercury you get the US made and Jap made (rebadged Tohatsu).

No.1-the US made 15HP Mercury, by far the smoothest running and easiest starting 15HP on the market. Also has excellent gearshift in the handle and a better trim/tilt system than the others. It will be the dearest is the only downside, but if I was buying a 15HP for my personal use I would spend the extra, with only the 15HP Johno coming close, but again BRP are not discounting this engine so it will be dearer than the Merc.

No.2-The Yamaha.

No.3-The 15HP Super Mercury-The Jap made one. The most powerful, but a bit agricutaral and not the smootest running-basically built to a price like all the $2100-$2200 15HPs being sold at the moment and this can also apply the the Yamaha, but not as bad as the Super 15HP Merc.

That said all 15HPs are good and will last many years, just look at the number of old Evinrude/Johnson 15HP still going and yes the US engines run less copper in the alloy and that is whay they tend to last a bit longer. I think I would also place the dealer high on the list because that can affect your boating experience also if any problems arise.

Cheers and enjoy which ever you one you decide on,

Huey.

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine

Hi Raiders,

I am currently looking at buying a new 15 hp 2 Stroke outboard for around $2200.

It appears that both Mercury (USA Model) and Yamaha have products to suit.

Can any convince me why i should buy one brand over another?

Thanks for your advice.

Cheers

Ted :beersmile:

Like Vipernut says, each person will favour the brand that they presently own.

Personally, I had Johnson outboards for over 15 years in my youth and they never failed me, then I had twin 50 Mercurys, again no probs.

As Craig rightly points out the Mercury has all the controls (gear shift) on the tiller handle and is excellent one handed control when trolling (quite difficult to put the engine out of gear once hooked up if the rod is in the other hand) I used a 25Hp Mercury extensively for this purpose whilst in PNG and could not fault the engine for any reason.

Currently I have 6 Yamaha 15s, 2 Suzuki 15s & 1 9.9Hp, 1 Johnson 25 plus 1 9.8 Tohatsu. Can't complain about any of them with exception to availability of spares for some particular models.

Go for the Mercury, tiller gear shift is invaluable as Craig points out.

Dealer back up service is the only other issue you would need to address.

Hope this helps

How good are all you lot!

Thanks so much for all your advice I really appreciate it.

I guess the next post from me will be "how do you catch fish?" as i havent been able to really nail a good sized fish yet. The Mrs thinks i go fishing just to get a away from her..... haha.

I live in Cammeray and about 500m from Tunks park. So if any of you need a fishing companion for a trip, please let me know.

Cheers

Ted

I guess the next post from me will be "how do you catch fish?"

1) Place bait on hook .

2) Place baited hook in large body of water .

3) Wait .

4) Wait some more .

5) Retrieve hook with fish attached.

Repeat as often as necessary. Pretty simple , huh? :074:

Ross

1) Place bait on hook .

2) Place baited hook in large body of water .

3) Wait .

4) Wait some more .

5) Retrieve hook with fish attached.

Repeat as often as necessary. Pretty simple , huh? :074:

Ross

Mine is the same as above except for 5) Retrieve hook with no bait and no fish attached :074: