Roseville Landbased-jewie

Josh88

Hi All,

Finish exams on Wednesday and weather permitting am hoping of trying for a jew on soft plastic upstream roseville on either thursday or friday. Haven't done this before so was just wondering if anyone else has and had any luck with it? I don't want to be putting my efforts into a nothing spot but first few attempts will need exerimentation i guess...

Any info is appreciated

Cheers

Josh

Edited by Josh88

can you get yakka that far up MH? I'll definitely throw out either frozen squid or pillie as well. I know that jew can be caught on lures up past roseville, just keen to have a go myself.

I'll be using the sp's on a 7ft 4-8kg rod with 20lb braid, does everyone think 40lb leader is the right size?

Cheers

Josh

dont bother with pillies

go a whole squid the size of your hand on a 2 hook rig

jews hit hard so leave the drag loose if the rod is unattended.

i get yackas, herring, and the odd slimie at putney so you should get them at roseville. you will catch 10 undersized tailor for every yacka though.

G'day Josh.

It's well worth the effort walking the shore upsream from the bridge & flicking plastics. There are a couple of nice holes starting on the upstream side of the bridge itself behind the 1st pylon. Then you drive down as far as you can to the parking area. Only a couple of hundred mtrs up from there is a hole that produces some very good fish. Best I've seen was 17kgs on a big storm shad. Another bloke got one 20kgs + on 4kg braid & a squidgy fish. Plenty of school fish in the 4 - 8 kg range as well. As you keep walking look for any little tracks that go down to the river & have a few casts. If the fish are there you will get them within a dozen casts. Fish bends & anywhere there is a sunken rock or upwelling or break in the current flow & fish around the tide changes.

Your rig sounds fine. 40lb leader is plenty. You could knock it down to 30lb if you want.

The pontoon near the boat ramp is usually reliable for yakkas. Can be tough in winter though. You can also get yakkas & mullet from the shore between the pipe & the bridge. You need plenty of burley though. That's also a good spot to soak a livie. I got my 1st ever jew there so I have a soft spot for the place. :biggrin2:

The moon looks good for a wed's fish however it's not the best time of year & I've never done very well when the water is really dirty from rain. September is when some big fish are up there & it fishes well right through 'till about April when conditions are right.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Grant.

G'day Josh.

It's well worth the effort walking the shore upsream from the bridge & flicking plastics. There are a couple of nice holes starting on the upstream side of the bridge itself behind the 1st pylon. Then you drive down as far as you can to the parking area. Only a couple of hundred mtrs up from there is a hole that produces some very good fish. Best I've seen was 17kgs on a big storm shad. Another bloke got one 20kgs + on 4kg braid & a squidgy fish. Plenty of school fish in the 4 - 8 kg range as well. As you keep walking look for any little tracks that go down to the river & have a few casts. If the fish are there you will get them within a dozen casts. Fish bends & anywhere there is a sunken rock or upwelling or break in the current flow & fish around the tide changes.

Your rig sounds fine. 40lb leader is plenty. You could knock it down to 30lb if you want.

The pontoon near the boat ramp is usually reliable for yakkas. Can be tough in winter though. You can also get yakkas & mullet from the shore between the pipe & the bridge. You need plenty of burley though. That's also a good spot to soak a livie. I got my 1st ever jew there so I have a soft spot for the place. :biggrin2:

The moon looks good for a wed's fish however it's not the best time of year & I've never done very well when the water is really dirty from rain. September is when some big fish are up there & it fishes well right through 'till about April when conditions are right.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Grant.

Gday Grant,

Thanks a lot for that, some really useful info there. I'll try and put it to good use :1fishing1::thumbup:

Cheers

Josh

Edited by Josh88

G'day Josh.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Grant.

Hey Grant,

Great info, just wondering is upstream from the bridge accessable from a boat or are the waters here too shallow .

Twin 1

Hey Grant,

Great info, just wondering is upstream from the bridge accessable from a boat or are the waters here too shallow .

Twin 1

You definitely can go up a couple of km past the bridge in boat but i think that the boat casts a fairly large shadow in what is already a narrow channel and spooks the fish a bit which can make landbased fishing more productive.

Josh

Hi,

I agree with Humesy.

Water is dirty, not mud yet, but will get worse.

I think jewhunter is right after this flush it might go quiet for a few months. That area gets severely affected by polluted storm water run off.

Try the deeper water of MH around the Spit.

Mike

i went over the bridge this morning and the water is the coffee to say the best! My exams finish in a week and a half and i plan on putting a fair bit of time into jews, flattie and tailor both lb and by boat if ur keen to meet up for a few sessions...

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I think i will give it a miss at this rate with the water being so dirty and rain not seeming like it wants to stop. Might go out in the boat but seabreeze isn't being to friendly until sunday and i'd imagine it'll be very busy being a long weekend. Have to wait and see.

Cheers

Josh

Hey Grant,

Twin 1

G'day Marcel.

Yep, you can get a fair way up there in a boat. Best to travel along with an electric in the upper reaches.

There are heaps of flatties up there & as you get further up you will come across the big sandstone rockfaces with underwater ledges. These are top e.p spots in spring & early summer.

Cheers,

Grant.