Tica Taurus Tp 2000s Spin Reel

Tim

Hi guys

I have a bit of a problem with one of my favourite reels. The drag is sticking a bit when line first starts being pulled off. I need to pull a little bit harder when I first start peeling line off, then it operates smoothly once it starts spinning.

I read the drag maintenance article on this site & gave that a go, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference at all. I'm pretty sure I did it right because I did the same thing with another one of my spin reels & it made the drag a lot smoother.

I suppose I should get to the point. Is it possible to get an upgraded drag for this reel, or is there something else I should try first? By the way, it's a wet drag.

Cheers

Tim

I'm pretty sure I did it right because I did the same thing with another one of my spin reels & it made the drag a lot smoother.

29066[/snapback]

Tim, give it another shot! Did you use the ink like Ken suggested to see where the highs and lows are? If you haven't, then try it. Do it very lightly so you can see the profile. You will be surprised how much material you will still have to take of. I had to give it 3 goes to get it right on my Castaic!

Bear in mind that there may be more than one washer, and that you should do both sides of each washer if they both sides are contact points.

Do you know if it is a wet or dry drag? If it is a dry drag and you have oil in there it could grab...and visa versa!

Hi Jo

It's definitely a wet drag. It's a little different to the one in the photos in the drag maintenance article, as it has the one nylon/absorbent type washer, but there are no other washers per se. It's a bit hard to describe, but the other "washer" is more of a bucket shape, with one flat side that is the contact point with the nylon washer.

I have no idea how to describe it! I need to find a diagram or something. I'll get back to you.

In the meantime, I've heard somebody mention using graphite powder in a drag to make it smoother. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Cheers

Tim

Tim if you can send me a pic of the washer you are talking about.

If the drag is still jerky after lapping there can be problems with the machining of the spool. Have you got a spare spool to try ?

Hi Ken

I do have a spare spool. I might give that one a go tonight.

Unfortunately I can't find a picture on the net, and I don't have a digi camera or scanner. I really need to get with the times I think.

I'll have a go at the spare spool & report back.

Cheers

Tim

Well I tried swapping the drags over between my spools. It didn't really make any difference though. The drag is just a little bit sticky, and I'm thinking it's just not a great drag. An upgrade would be nice. Does anyone know if you can get those erskines upgrades for Tica reels?

I found an old shimano sahara 2000 in the garage this morning & had a go of that to compare. It leaves the other drag for dead. That's a little bit annoying considering that reel cost me a quarter of what the Tica cost. The Tica is still usable though, and it has caught me some very good fish, and copped a flogging from some big unstoppable ones too.