New Boat

bullethead

Dear Raiders

I have just returned from the boat dealers and he has offered me a 2008 Quintex 490 Freedom Sports bowrider with a 90 hp 2 stroke carby Yamaha,bimini,bowcover,2 way,fishfinder, good seats, lights, etc. All for approx $34 000. I know it's not a good fishing boat but my wife and 2 daughters like to go water skiing, tubing, and laying around in the sun at Jibbon. What I want to know is, is this a reasonable price to start and what are yamaha motors like?

Thanks

Bullet Head

2 stroke carby? AAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!! With the new "clean " engines available , they would have to be basically giving them away. Have a look at the DFI Optis or Etecs. Cleaner , quieter , more powerful. With fuel the price that it is , economy is a much more important consideration than it used to be . OK , DFI may be a bit more expensive , but you are getting a lot of motor for your money. EFI fuel systems are basically set and forget. No carbs to balance , clean or adjust. This does not just apply to the Yamaha product , any " clean " 2 stroke will waltz all over a carby engine.

Ross

2 stroke carby? AAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!! With the new "clean " engines available , they would have to be basically giving them away. Have a look at the DFI Optis or Etecs. Cleaner , quieter , more powerful. With fuel the price that it is , economy is a much more important consideration than it used to be . OK , DFI may be a bit more expensive , but you are getting a lot of motor for your money. EFI fuel systems are basically set and forget. No carbs to balance , clean or adjust. This does not just apply to the Yamaha product , any " clean " 2 stroke will waltz all over a carby engine.

Ross

Thanks Flightmanager, The other motor option was a 75 hp e-tec.A bit more expensive.I know little about motors,but I like to have max hp for the boat

Bullethead

No probs Bullethead , I have a 75Etec , and love it. If you are interested in my opinions on this engine , PM me , and I will gadly bore you to death with the details ! :074: ( Most raiders would be familiar with my views , so I wont repeat myself in here !)

INSERT SIGH OF RELIEF HERE.

Ross

Hey Bullethead,

I've got a 480 Freedom Sport that was the same 'family compromise' boat but it's actually a really good fishing boat too. I've got a 75 E-Tec on the back and love it... wouldn't have an old tech 2 stroke if you paid me. As much as we all niggle each other about E-Tec vs Mercury Opti Max, they're both good (you didn't hear me say that!) motors and streets ahead of older style 2 strokes in performance, economy, emissions, running costs, etc. My last boat also had 4 stroke Yamahas and while they were good, I'll stick with the E-Tec on any future boat.

If you get the boat, you just need to think about how to set it up to make it a good fishing boat. Depending on what sort of fishing you want to do you there are plently of good, simple improvements:

- think about getting the cutting board with a plumbed livie tank underneath as a dealer option... they work really well.

- you'll need rod storage because the moulded sides in the new Quinnies means you don't have the sides under the gunwhales to use. I got a rocket launcher attached to the bimini but since I never fish with the bimini up (it gets in the way) it's a waste. Instead I've attached rod holders to the front of the little door leading to the bow section.

- I've also added: an upgraded sounder/plotter, stainless rod holders on the railings, a downrigger, snapper rack style removeable rod holders.

As a last tip... I always remove the rear lounge seat and bimini for fishing. You end up with heaps of very useable space that way. The bimini is a real pain with rods on the boat.

If you get one and want to see how I've got mine set up let me know and I'll send you some photos.

Cheers, Slinky

It's been at least 2 weeks since there was an ETEC war, must be about time now :074:

Robbie.

We have a 75 Mercury Optimax and really enjoy it, in this engine & the 90 the etec does hold a lower weight advantage over the opti, but the opti 75 & 90 are built on the block of the 115.

I know every engine claims something and the optimax claims to be marginally faster and slightly better on fuel economy than the etec which is what i like to believe :thumbup:

Both good engines, but i'll stick with the opti :biggrin2:

Cheers

Josh

We have a 75 Mercury Optimax and really enjoy it, in this engine & the 90 the etec does hold a lower weight advantage over the opti, but the opti 75 & 90 are built on the block of the 115.

I know every engine claims something and the optimax claims to be marginally faster and slightly better on fuel economy than the etec which is what i like to believe :thumbup:

Both good engines, but i'll stick with the opti :biggrin2:

Cheers

Josh

Thanks Raiders for all the info.Like I said I don't know much about motors but would like to know if a 75 e-tec or opti is sufficient for all my needs eg carrying me[103kg]wife[beautfully slim]2kids 11&14[normal]their 2 friends and all the necessary gear to spend a day on the water tubing skiing etc.

Thanks

Bullethead

i think direct injected motors are the go mate ,ive gone from a carbie motor to a di motor although its early days but so far my fuel saving is almost 50percent

if you want a 90 get them to package one up ,if they wont do it let your fingers do the walking ,buy what you want ,cause after youve takin it your stuck with it ,years from now you dont want to be thinking should of got more hp

good luck

cheers arman

Dear Raiders

I have just returned from the boat dealers and he has offered me a 2008 Quintex 490 Freedom Sports bowrider with a 90 hp 2 stroke carby Yamaha,bimini,bowcover,2 way,fishfinder, good seats, lights, etc. All for approx $34 000. I know it's not a good fishing boat but my wife and 2 daughters like to go water skiing, tubing, and laying around in the sun at Jibbon. What I want to know is, is this a reasonable price to start and what are yamaha motors like?

Thanks

Bullet Head

Bullet head i have an older 5m freedom Sport with the 90 Yam 2 stroke.

1st up i think they make a excellent fishing boat, benefits similar to a centre console but family friendly.

The Yam 90 is a good solid motor IMO not overly thirsty, but a bit lazy. Just to check if the dealer is on his toes ask/look what prop pitch it has, in my experience they generally sell them with 17” which is too big but saves them the cost of re propping.

Ross is correct they will want to be giving you the motor dirt cheap; “dirty” 2 strokes are not the way to setup a new boat, it will limit resale as well. I know the 75hp etec is a large capacity but I would be looking at the 90hp etec for the 490 Quintrex.

Rgds

Jim

I agree with Slinky 100%.

I have Freedom SPort with Etec; picked up that layout (bowrider) for the same reasons as yours - e.g. fishing boat for me and "cruising" for the family; however I have discovered the only thing all the family does now is fishing (so perhaps my next boat, which is on the hroizon, will be centre or side console :) )

I have no problems with fishability of the boat, I'd just add the following to Slinky's suggestions:

- very easy to mount and use bowmount electric.

- I didn't go for a plumbed livevell (for the reasons mentioned above, to save space); now I regret it. I use an esky with the keepalive for now and it works fine (my dealer is eager to add livewell aftermaket but I'll be getting that with the new boat).

- buy a front casting deck option. Takes seconds to convert from it to cusioned seating in front for the family; or to the rasied deck for lurecasting with leccy; also when casting deck is on there's a good storage underneath.

- I keep rear seats down for I installed 3 big plano tackle boxes underneath and all my fishing tackle is stored there with heaps of space. It also provides a "pocket" for downrigger, etc whih are not sotred "behind".

- For the rod storage - for the same reasons as Slinky mentioned I don't use a "rocket launcher". I didn't go for a "bow door" option; when all family is flicking lures rods there get in a way when I need to help my wife or sun landing the fish (they catch more fish than me!) - we keep this door open all the time. Instead I made 2 removable rod holders that mount on that frame around the windscreen on the left side. Can store 10 rods there now.

HTH

Hey Bullethead,

I've got a 480 Freedom Sport that was the same 'family compromise' boat but it's actually a really good fishing boat too. I've got a 75 E-Tec on the back and love it... wouldn't have an old tech 2 stroke if you paid me. As much as we all niggle each other about E-Tec vs Mercury Opti Max, they're both good (you didn't hear me say that!) motors and streets ahead of older style 2 strokes in performance, economy, emissions, running costs, etc. My last boat also had 4 stroke Yamahas and while they were good, I'll stick with the E-Tec on any future boat.

If you get the boat, you just need to think about how to set it up to make it a good fishing boat. Depending on what sort of fishing you want to do you there are plently of good, simple improvements:

- think about getting the cutting board with a plumbed livie tank underneath as a dealer option... they work really well.

- you'll need rod storage because the moulded sides in the new Quinnies means you don't have the sides under the gunwhales to use. I got a rocket launcher attached to the bimini but since I never fish with the bimini up (it gets in the way) it's a waste. Instead I've attached rod holders to the front of the little door leading to the bow section.

- I've also added: an upgraded sounder/plotter, stainless rod holders on the railings, a downrigger, snapper rack style removeable rod holders.

As a last tip... I always remove the rear lounge seat and bimini for fishing. You end up with heaps of very useable space that way. The bimini is a real pain with rods on the boat.

If you get one and want to see how I've got mine set up let me know and I'll send you some photos.

Cheers, Slinky