Bondi Pigs New Pb

jenno64

Headed over to north of Bondi this morning for a go at some pigs. Had a bucket of stale bread and banana prawns for bait. Arrived just before 7am for the start of the run in tide (probably a little early for this spot). Couldn't hold my baits in the zone so I switched to a bobby cork rig and scored a little 32cm pig to start off. Threw a cast into dangerously snaggy boulders and came up tight on a good pig. Had to drag him over a reef and then winched him up the cliff (about 4-5m) my best pig yet (52cm) and I'm glad I was fishing with 30lb mainline as I have been bricked too many times on 15-20lb in past seasons. Got another around 40ish and the bite went off about 10am. Saw some bitfish going ballistic near a bommie and then hooked a fiesty salmon too of about 2-3 kg but the hooks pulled as I got him to the base of the rocks. Managed to collect a few good size crabs for thre freezer to be used another day. Not a bad morning and I have the taste for a bigger pig now :biggrin2:

Cheers Rob

post-4017-1212983433_thumb.jpg

post-4017-1212983478_thumb.jpg

post-4017-1212983492_thumb.jpg

Guest Ben75

Gday jenno64

Nice work on the pigs . :thumbup: 52cm Awsome . have you been out on your yak lately Have to catch up for a session

Cheers Ben

It's no wonder they pull hard Rob... look at the size of the paddle on the back of that big one. Roberta could probably lash a couple of those to either end of a broomstick and have a useful paddle for her kayak. Nice work.

Cheers, Slinky

Hey Slinky,

Those tails are very efficient and boy the 52cm fish pulled hard and it was fat too! I didn't get to weigh it and uncleaned it would have been around 3kg+ i think. I fish from a yak too and might traget them from my Hobie one day if the swell isn't too nasty. :1fishing1:

Ben,

Let's get out there and target the luds in the Georges sometime soon. PM me and we can organise something.

Thanks Roberta, I see you encounter the pigs quite often whilst you traget your favs :biggrin2:

Yes a good feed to come tomorrow night...... :beersmile:

Cheers all

Do you find they taste good?

I was at a mates place a while back and he had caught a couple, but when we cut them open to gut them they had the worst smell, absolutely foul! nd then they kind of stunk after they were cooked... could have just had something wrong i guess... also im not sure if he bled them...

Do you find they taste good?

I was at a mates place a while back and he had caught a couple, but when we cut them open to gut them they had the worst smell, absolutely foul! nd then they kind of stunk after they were cooked... could have just had something wrong i guess... also im not sure if he bled them...

you've got to bleed and gut them immediately. i think that foul smell was the weed turning off. if you treat it properly, they have a nice smooth moist tasty white flesh when cooked

they are beaut on the chew! i fillet, skin and debone mine then put a teaspoon of curry powder in with a cup of flour in a plastic bag and shake em up, bit of oil in the frypan and cook em up (dnt over cook) bit of salt and a squeeze of lemon!!!!!!!!!!! VERY NICE!!! :thumbup:

Tucked into some mouthwatering drummer fillets tonight, done simply in salt, pepper and flour, fried lightly in olive oil then topped with a parsley butter mmmmmmmmm :beersmile:

what rod and gear were u using?

Hey Bert,

Was using my old 7144 bent tip and my ancient alvey fibreglass reel (heavy mother) with 30 lb mono and 20lb vanish as a leader under the float. Last year I hooked a 4kg+ model and couldn't winch it up the cliff so it might be time to get something with a bit more grunt lower down.

Cheers Rob

Hey Bert,

Was using my old 7144 bent tip and my ancient alvey fibreglass reel (heavy mother) with 30 lb mono and 20lb vanish as a leader under the float. Last year I hooked a 4kg+ model and couldn't winch it up the cliff so it might be time to get something with a bit more grunt lower down.

Cheers Rob

hi rob,

pretty serious set up you have for pigs. i reckon u can easily tame the 4+ model

i'm still fishing medium light - 20lb mono, abu6600 baitcaster (i like fishing pigs with baitcasters) and a 13ft light rod. i'm close to the east coast myself but never thought the eastern ledges were good pig fishing. i myself fish the northern beaches

anyway, welldone again and keep posting your latest catches. was a pleasure to read

cheers

bert

nice pigs, is this landbased or boat fishing?

Landbased Vinflattie

Bert,

Send me a pm and we can have a go at them on the northerm platforms one arvo. I have aspot and I'm sure you do too.

Rob

Hi Dicko

When they have been eating cunje especially, their gut (as well as blackies) is absolutely putrid!!! That is why it is better to fillet & skin them instead of gutting them as such, if you can, so it doesn't put you off! You have to do it fairly quickly after killing them.

I usually bleed them immediately upon capture & leave them in clean salt water, then take off their heads & belly in one cut & also any black lining that is left behind. Then I take them home & skin & fillet them, as I really need my sharp knives to do a good job of it & they are usually at home! :)

Don't give up on them as a table fish - cooked in a bit of butter with garlic in it, with lemon juice added (Drummer Meuniere by Doyles) is absolutely delicious!!!

Cheerio

Roberta