Jewies On Fly!

soft-on

Hey Guys,

Look i have searched the forum for this information but no sucess.

I know its been done and some guys have cracked it but has any raider ever caught a Jewfish on fly?

If so a photo and some information would be appreciated.

Cam

.......Look i have searched the forum for this information but no sucess.

....I know its been done and some guys have cracked it but has any raider ever caught a Jewfish on fly?

If so a photo and some information would be appreciated.

Cam

A good while back I noticed a couple of young blokes on the Hawkesbury up past Bar point using fly rods with line baskets, they were good casters too. They were not skimming in close for bream, they were fishing outside the mangroves where we used to leave the crab pots. There are two lots of mangroves, one on the Sydney side, the other a kilo around towards spencer on the other side and when they moved out of site i reckon they had the other mangrove in mind. They were not in flathead grounds, in fact they were trolling and holding the electric out fairly wide of the shore, not where I would choose to anchor, but maybe they've hooked up on fly there before who knows.

I can't see why you shouldn't get onto some good jewfish on saltwater flies among your bream, especially down your way Cam.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

A good while back I noticed a couple of young blokes on the Hawkesbury up past Bar point using fly rods with line baskets, they were good casters too. They were not skimming in close for bream, they were fishing outside the mangroves where we used to leave the crab pots. There are two lots of mangroves, one on the Sydney side, the other a kilo around towards spencer on the other side and when they moved out of site i reckon they had the other mangrove in mind. They were not in flathead grounds, in fact they were trolling and holding the electric out fairly wide of the shore, not where I would choose to anchor, but maybe they've hooked up on fly there before who knows.

I can't see why you shouldn't get onto some good jewfish on saltwater flies among your bream, especially down your way Cam.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Thanks for the insight Byron, just like my first popped Whiting & Bream if i put allot of time & effort in i should prevail to land a Jewfish on fly. I have seen photo's & read articles but i guess all i have to do is use the right fly in the right location. I will start with the usual Jewfish addresses & go from there. I have colors & patterns in mind just unsure of fly size.

I just think a little confidence boost from fellow raiders with a photo or story wouldn't go astray...... :tease:

Edited by soft-on

• 4 weeks later...

You must have a lot of patients, seeing your shots I know you lure for them, this in itself can be frustrating at times. Myself I couldn,t think of the amount of effort that fly fishing for them would take. I have not ever read to much about it myself but if you put in the time and the effort I could imagine how you would feel when you caught one. Write an article on it, with pics would be an interesting read. It would also be interesting to also put a stop watch on it , Hours spent per Fish, good luck

Edited by TDH