Crab Of Some Sort?

outfisher

Question

HALLO fishraiders i was wondering if anyone can identify this crab?

I caught it out on the 12 mile jigging in a 100m odd of water for kings

i hooked the bottom and pulled a lump of weed and up come this

little fella.

Would appreciate some help identifying thanks!!!! outfisher

9 answers to this question

That's an interesting spider crab and not quite what you'd call a pillow companion. I'll bet that critter would weave a nice old web in the old earhole Chris. I reckon if you didn't die of fright you'd either find the walls splattered with wax or you'd wake up deaf and not quite fully intact.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

spider crab - Britannica Concise Encyclopedia | Date: 2007

Any species of sluggish marine crab in the widely distributed family Majidae (or Maiidae). Spider crabs have a beak-shaped head; thick, rounded body; and long, spindly legs. They use a mucuslike mouth secretion to fasten algae, sponges, and other organisms to the hairs, spines, and knobby projections covering the body. Most species are scavengers, especially of carrion. Their size varies greatly. The body of the European long-beaked spider crab (Macropodia rostrata) is less than 0.5 in. (1 cm) in diameter, whereas the Japanese giant crab (Macrocheira kaempferi), whose outstretched claws can measure 13 ft (4 m) from tip to tip, is perhaps the largest known arthropod.

Have a look at some other spider crabs on this link

http://www.video.scubadata.com/index.php?tag=crab

looks to me like an "idontwannagofknnearitthrowitbackquick" crab...

quite a rarity... good catch :thumbup:

:Funny-Post: lmao

the Japanese giant crab (Macrocheira kaempferi), whose outstretched claws can measure 13 ft (4 m) from tip to tip, is perhaps the largest known arthropod.

:wacko: just searched up a pic of this thing on wiki. looks like its from outta space...alien. 4m is HUGE, wouldn't wanna run into him.