Surgeon Recipe

andrew399

Was out in the harbour today and got a 40cm surgeon... will post a report if i can find a camera to get a pic.

Anyways,, does anyone have any special ways of cooking them? Do you need to skin them and if so how?

• 3 weeks later...

put surgeon in boiling water after 15mins add a brick simmer for 30mins,remove surgeon and throw away eat brick :beersmile:

Mate you have no idea do you? :thumbdown:

If we are talking about Sawtail Surgeons, they are delicious. Cook them nice and simple much like you would a flatty or similar.

yeah i was talking sawtail surgeons.

it tasted pretty good but i dont think i will keep them again because it took ages to pull the skin off. I dont know how to fillet and skin properly so i just cooked it whole.

but yeah, not a bad fish at all!

yeah i was talking sawtail surgeons.

it tasted pretty good but i dont think i will keep them again because it took ages to pull the skin off. I dont know how to fillet and skin properly so i just cooked it whole.

but yeah, not a bad fish at all!

Dicko,

They are absolutely beautiful to eat.

You don't pull the skin off like a leathery.. rather just skin it like a normal fish.

It is a delicate flesh and tastes of scallop. I simply pan fry in a little butter and olive oil. You can flour it lightly to help with colour and to seal in the juices.

The most important thing is not to overcook it. The average fillet will only take 2-3 minutes a side.

If anyone does catch one, make sure you take that skin off. If you cook them with the skin on, you will expereince on of the most horrendous stenches imaginable. The skin stinks when cooked!!!