Stalking The Sticks

Hodgey

The weather here today was bloody beautiful. Had two hours to kill so I wandered down to an estuary I haven't fished for several months. It is not accessible by boat, and has provided some bruising flatties and bream in the past. (but generally in the warmer months). Remembered the camera this time, so took a couple of snaps for Mariner :biggrin2:

post-3198-1214017348_thumb.jpg

Threw 3" Gulp monnows in Lime Tiger around some of the better snags, but could only produce four VERY undersized bream. I watched a couple of older blokes fishing from the bank with worms, and they landed 3 terrific whiting while I was there. Getting even the smallest breambos out of this country is a lot of fun!

post-3198-1214017542_thumb.jpg

Had a few casts across a muddy ledge and got hammered zzzzzzzzz, 'ting!' .... limp line. :mad3: Had to be a flattie or a jew, so I filed the 1-3kg stick away, and pulled out 'the big gun' ... my 3-5 kg Rack Raider :074: Rigged up a 4" Gulp minnow, also in lime tiger, and 'souped' it up with some 'S Factor'. Made a couple of casts in the same area without success. Wandered along the bank a little further, and stopped to watch a large flock of swans make their ungainly ascent to the sky. Made another long cast across a similar ledge. The ripples caused by the landing SP had barely dispersed when the belly in the 6lb crystal jumped and stayed taut. Some good solid headshakes could be felt through the rod, and I called it for a flattie.

I get my first glimpse of the fish, and noticed that the 10lb vanish had wrapped around his head and was resting between the cheek spikes. He's no monster, but he is very broad and solid. To make matters worse ... no landing net and a 2' drop from the bank to the water! Now the flattie observes this blue-clad blob standing on the bank and makes a concerted bolt for freedom. "Well", I mutter to myself, "at least I got to see him". As luck would have it, the fish gods smiled on me and I managed to gently guide him back to the bank, lay on my guts on the grass, and comfort lift him onto the bank. :thumbup:

post-3198-1214018707_thumb.jpg

56cm, and in excellent condition. Packed up the gear and wandered across the bridge for one final photo for Mariner. A magic morning that produced a good fish for the table. Cheers. Hodgey

post-3198-1214018888_thumb.jpg

Thanks Hodgey,

I've just had my hit and should be good till your next report. :yahoo:

Great couple of hours by the sounds of things, and in such picturesque surroundings. :thumbup:

Fantastic photos, and a great lizard as a bonus. :1yikes:

Another report worth waiting for, and enjoyed :smoke:

:dito: on the Yak idea

Cheers

Yay! Another terrific fish, Hodgey! Great pics in both of your own 'backyard'. It all looks very fishy!! :)

You were lucky to get the flattie in with the line wrapped round the spikes! :1prop:

Cheerio

ROberta

hehehe If you can walk there, you can get a yak in there!! :) :)

Edited by Roberta

Yeah "H"........

I so much would love to venture down that way some day, very nice pics and well done on the flattie.

When I see reports like yours, I so get inspired.

Bring it on !!!

GREAT POST. Rod.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work Hodgy,

That place looks strikingly farmiliar to a little place I used to fish when I lived down at Narooma. Beautiful part of the world there.

Nice work on another good fish, always a bugger when you have no net and a bit of distance to somehow land a fish to the bank

Mitch