Platypus Line

adznapper

Hi all

I just bought 2 rolls each 300m 8lb Classic platypus when I got it home I noticed that the 2 rolls were diffrent colours to each other.

When I placed a full spool on my reel it had heaps of little strands like spider web hanging off all over the line and abrasions in the line spaced out about 20cm apart.

Should I trust this line or should I change brands I have been using thise line for years and havnt realy had any problems but I dont want to loose a Snapper of a life time because of poor made line.

Its a fair price thats why Ive always used it but could it be time to change brands anyone have a comment?

I do not like any Platipus line, i have had problems with the super 100, the Platinum, and others, including the Classic, it will snap on you really easy because of the symptoms you say it exhibits, those hair like strands are bad news, tie a know with it and see if you can snap it, im sure it will easily.

Thats just my thoughts, others may have no probs with it.....but doubt it.

Kamil

G'day Adz,

Yes you should be able to trust Platypus line. As you said you've used it for years with no problems.

Platypus Classic comes in different colours to suit different applications (brown, green, blue). From the sound of your line problem I'd guess there was an imperfection in the spool itself (not yours... the one the line came on).

I think the line was probably getting damaged by a rough spot on the plastic as you wound it on... hence the regularly spaced abrasions. I'd definitely respool the damaged line but I'd suggest you give Platypus a call or e-mail and I'm sure they'd mail you a replacement.

No matter what brand of line I use, be it braid or mono, I always check the spool for rough moulding spots before I spool up and if there are any I gently rub them smooth with fine sandpaper first. Sounds like a lot of mucking around but I'm like you and wouldn't want to lose the fish of a lifetime because of a nick in the line

Cheers, Slinky

Platypus line has been around long before all these fancy lines that are on the market now.

As a kid, and with mum and dad we used it for many, many years and experienced no specific problems.

I don't use it now, not for any particular reason, only following the trend of all the fancy lines, new technologies, flouro, spider, etc.

Take Ray R's advise and return it to where you purchased it. Alternatively send off a sample to the manufacturer.

I would think there is a simple explanation for the poor quality line you have ended up with - although doesn't say too much for the quality control on the production line.

May have been a Monday production. :tease:

Platypus line has been around long before all these fancy lines that are on the market now.

As a kid, and with mum and dad we used it for many, many years and experienced no specific problems.

I don't use it now, not for any particular reason, only following the trend of all the fancy lines, new technologies, flouro, spider, etc.

Take Ray R's advise and return it to where you purchased it. Alternatively send off a sample to the manufacturer.

I would think there is a simple explanation for the poor quality line you have ended up with - although doesn't say too much for the quality control on the production line.

May have been a Monday production. :tease:

Hi all

I am sending a sample of the line back too the company how ever special thanks to slinkmalinky who has helped me out. Iam blowen a way with how helpfull the company has been and will deffinetly continue using platypus and telling others how helpfull they are in keeping a customer happy, which to me these days is worth every dollar I have spent on platypus over many years.

Thank you all

Thank you all

Good to hear, I am associated with Platypus and have only just read this post. I am sure the company will be more than accomodating to your situation and am glad to hear you will continue to use the line.

Mitch