How Do You Discourage Birds When Cubing

Hi all,

we had a session out wide yesterday and took a bottle of tuna oil that we holed so it dripped into a nice slick. Unfortunately the bottle came off the tether after which we had about 6 or 8 Albatross turn up behind the boat and steal most of our cubes and baits. :1badmood:

I've used the tuna oil trick before and it seems to work but I wanted to know if it was just a coincidence that the birds 'came on the bite' when our slick stopped. Is there any other way to keep them away without hurting them?

Cheers, Slinky

Hi all,

we had a session out wide yesterday and took a bottle of tuna oil that we holed so it dripped into a nice slick. Unfortunately the bottle came off the tether after which we had about 6 or 8 Albatross turn up behind the boat and steal most of our cubes and baits. :1badmood:

I've used the tuna oil trick before and it seems to work but I wanted to know if it was just a coincidence that the birds 'came on the bite' when our slick stopped. Is there any other way to keep them away without hurting them?

Cheers, Slinky

throw a couple of cubes out with wasabi sauce on them - that'll sort them out!

Edited by tan the fisherman

Gday slinky, firstly did they have a yellow stripe down their nose? they are yellow nosed albatross and pester fishing vessels to the point of no return, they are usually shot by longliners, we got hassled last week, quite funny actually. Started to feed one and his m8 turned up next thing they are squawking over food, no sooner did they open their mouths ( sound travels well across water ) they came from every direction actually had three types of albatross around boat. Fed them for a while then stopped. one left and the rest followed soon after. Dont know what you can do.

DONT SHOOT THEM EITHER :tease: OR HARM THEM ITS BAD KARMA!

WHat works for me is i drop the cubes at the side as close to the boat, i hang my arm over the side down the side of the boat as far up the boat to the front as you can and drop from 10cm above the water, they dont see it and by the time they drift to them they are usually too far down, but sometimes it just dont help if there are too many around.

Edited by xtosea

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I reckon the best way to get ya cubes away from the birds is to take a 2 meter or so peice of pvc tube hold it in the water and drop ya cube in it. (maybe fix it to the boat some how). It will sink inside the tube and fall out the bottom deep and away from birds (just a thought).

Cheers Benny.

I reckon the best way to get ya cubes away from the birds is to take a 2 meter or so peice of pvc tube hold it in the water and drop ya cube in it. (maybe fix it to the boat some how). It will sink inside the tube and fall out the bottom deep and away from birds (just a thought).

Cheers Benny.

The berley Bomb idea is the go I reckon