Drummer Time

gazman

had a nice morning on the stones at pearl beach on the central coast.fished early with peeled prawns for pigs while my mate tried for his bream.

i managed 4 drummer to 1.3kg whilst my offsider managed three bream and a lone drummer.

we fished low tide ,run up which i dont prefer but we did manage a few.i will fish the high down in the next few days.

as i said the morning started slow with our spot catching a bit of swell which made things harder.as the tide came up i noticed our bread berley was creating a bit of interest out a little wider so next cast i sent one out to the edge of the stir and it was smashed instantly and we had our first drummer on the rocks.

over the next hour i managed 4 drummer and dropped some very good fish, with i hate to say by straightening hooks (doh!)even though i lost these fish the short time i had them on more than sattisfies you and gets the blood flowing.

anyway have attatched best two fish as hungry neighbour took other two before i could manage to get camera out!(i might keep some nice wirrah for him next time) :

post-7697-1215505623_thumb.jpg

Edited by jacksea

Good luck to you jacksea,

looks like their is a good feed or two in those and the others.

How did you cook em'.

In between working two jobs (shiftwork), and the cheese and kisses ( :wife: ) wanting things done around the house am looking forward to having a go at 'The drummer time'. :)

Weather permitting have Thursday--to Sunday, so will check BOM and Windguru and see how I go. :1fishing1:

beupatsunup

i bake them whole with the scales left on which keeps the flesh moist.although i am not in the good books as juices have overflowed into oven. no sense of humour these frontbums!

as far as thursday goes good luck,will go again wednesday as is overcast and nil wind "apparently"

How much swell do you need to be in with a chance at drummer? Does it have to be really foamy = big swell? My ledges are low and i'm not a fan of getting washed in.

mate what type of hooks are you using if they are being straightened.

i myself use mustard 92554 2/0 suicides and to my knowledge i have only heard of 2 being straightened

and this was by fish in excess of 3kg.

How much swell do you need to be in with a chance at drummer? Does it have to be really foamy = big swell? My ledges are low and i'm not a fan of getting washed in.

no not at all,i like a little bit of surge or backwash but have actually caught my best fish with very light seas as i like to fish right under my feet so to speak.this also aids you to fish as light as possible as drummer like to scoot out midwater and hammer the bait and try to get back into their holes or caves.i also like to keep as dry as i can especially in winter.

Nice !

Mind if I ask if you, if you use an unweighted prawn rig ?

i fish the lightest ball sinker possible right onto hook

I have caught some very big pigs but I will only use one type of hook for th esame reason.

I use Mustard 542 in 1/0 size. These are double strenght shank.

Cheers

Kingpig

i am now the owner of a few boxes of that exact hook.i was using the mustard 540's in 1/0 which are ok if you can swim them up.but this spot is a lift out spot and so 540's are to light guage.

cant wait till friday to lift out the bigger ones(i am praying)