Fuel

kingfishercam

Gday , i am running 2004 mercury 25 h/p and almays use premiuim fuel untill i randomly heard you shouldnt use premium for outboards, is this true , opinions needed. cheers.cam.

I'm no expert on outboards, but I look at the difference between premium and regular the same as a can of coke, and postmix from macca's...

My humble opinion only though, interested to hear what any mechanics have to say about it.

What was the reasoning behind no premium?

Hi Cam, premium unleaded fuel will not hurt your engine, only your wallet. For your HP I would use good quality regular unleaded and save the money. The only fuel that should not be used in boats is E10, due to the ethanol attracting water and the problem this will cause with runability.

Cheers,

Huey.

We were told to use premium in our Optimax by the dealer, can't imagine why it would be bad for it. It improves performance of my grandpa's 20year old merc but does cost that bit extra.

Premium fuel is not necessarily better quality fuel than regular like alot of people think. In some cases Ive seen it contain more dirt ect beacuse it sits in the tanks at servos longer before its used.

The main difference is that premium has a higher octane level than regular fuel. High octane is needed for high compression or boosted engines to resist pre ignition. (engine damage). If the manufacturer doesnt say to use it then you dont need it and there is really no advantage to using it.

You may get more milage but thats up to you to decide if its worth it for the higher cost.

I dont think your going to do any damage to your outboard if you use it but I wouldnt bother. I use it in my car because it runs high boost but I dont use it in my boat.

Edited by Roylo