Jigging Sydney Kingfish

Slasher

Hi, before I go any further I would like to say great site & I hope to add more feedback in the future. I've caught a heap of kingfish in Sydney harbour over the years, but now keen to give jigging a go after hearing of big fish being taken. Without giving away too many secrets, what are the better know offshore reefs out from the harbour that are worth having a look at in winter or spring. Any help would be great..

I know of a few guys that jig well within the harbour in as shallow ws 20metres. The hits are amazing!!! Not many of these fish are landed unless your running extremely heavy drags. Shallow water, reefs and wrecks are not a good combination

Dan

Yeh I havent done much jigging outside because I don't know any good spots around the Northern Beaches, ive heard of The Peak and 12 Mile but its a bit of a trek from Pittwater in my fuel guzzerling 2 stroke, the only jigging I have done is inside Pittwater in around 18 metres of water on the drop-offs we have caught plenty like that but wanna chase those bigger offshore fish.....

Does anyone have any good marks I could try around the Northern Beaches???

Any info would be great

Jack

Looks like Peak and 12 mile are popular choices which we'll try, if anyone's willing to pass gps marks all the better. In any case I'll be trying out a new sounder for likely spots, nothing like doing your own research. Thanks again..

Yeh I havent done much jigging outside because I don't know any good spots around the Northern Beaches, ive heard of The Peak and 12 Mile but its a bit of a trek from Pittwater in my fuel guzzerling 2 stroke, the only jigging I have done is inside Pittwater in around 18 metres of water on the drop-offs we have caught plenty like that but wanna chase those bigger offshore fish.....

Any info would be great

Jack

:bump0ee:

Any info would be great

Jack

Sent you a PM mate

Im keen to start giving this a crack as well. I have only tried once before but there was far to much current and the jigs looked like they were being trolled in the end.

Me and my mate have decided we are going to start giving it a go outside of sydney harbor. Our theory is we are going to start trolling around 2 or 3 kms outside Sydney Heads with a livie and probably a lure until we come across some reef. If anyone can point us in the right direction it would be much appreciated, where happy either way stumbling across new reefs is all part of the fun.

I am hoping to get out this weekend to see what is around, the kings should be at the off shore reefs now and hopefully there are some small samson fish there to.

a quick question,

I am into jigging no question about that and i am thinking of getting my self a overhead.

I am tossing up on which reel to get out of a Shimano Trinidad, or a Saltiga or a Blue Heaven overhead,

which overhead reel for jigging is the best quality one to go with out of the above mentioned reel brand's,

or if someone know's of a better one and it is not mentioned can you please mention it or pm me.

Thanks.

Scon, out of those probably the Blue Heaven, but you will pay for it! Next choice would be a Saltiga or Trinidad. Another really good reel from Shimano that is really hard to find here (I think its a Japanese model) and would definately give the Blue Heaven a run for its money is the Shimano Ocea Jigger range, they are Japans version of a Trinidad.....but better, designed solely for jigging, heres a photo of the 5000P

post-5116-1216201183_thumb.jpg

Daniel

Edited by Le Pasha

Scon, out of those probably the Blue Heaven, but you will pay for it! Next choice would be a Saltiga or Trinidad. Another really good reel from Shimano that is really hard to find here (I think its a Japanese model) and would definately give the Blue Heaven a run for its money is the Shimano Ocea Jigger range, they are Japans version of a Trinidad.....but better, designed solely for jigging, heres a photo of the 5000P

post-5116-1216201183_thumb.jpg

Daniel

thanks for replying back, much appreciated.

the photo of the reel you have put up, is that a Blue Heaven or a Shimano Ocea Jigger?

Thanks again Sam.

Overheads reels are not consider the best reels for jigging for a couple of reasons,

When jigging with a overhead reel you are constantly balancing the rod because it naturally wants to spin back to a lowest point position.

Also, It takes you considerably longer to get your jig to the floor then it does with an eggbeater, this is very important because you wanna hit the strike zone straight away and with an eggbeater you literally get down to 100 metres deep about 2-3 times faster then with an overhead, which means you have alot more time to jig.

I tried jigging with my Torsa and also with the Saltiga Z30. Much easier with the saltiga!

In saying that I did play with the Blue Heaven in Japan and it feels great.

But As others have said before a spinning reel like a Stella or Saltiga is leathal. Much more user friendly unless you have a take on the drop.

just my $0.02c

Le Pasha,

have you used a Ocea Jigger 5000P?

I honestly have no doubt about it and no questions about it either, it would handle anything wouldn't it?

If i get one i could take it to NZ jigging for monster kings, to Perth for the big Samson's, it would handle anything even big dogtooth wouldn't it no problem's at all?

I havent used it but on the NZ forums there are heaps of people who have imported them for use on their massive kings, it will do it with ease mate. It has a very narrow deep spool which will make it perfect for jigging. I have also seen some photos of a 90kg dogtooth caught by a Japanese rod builder called Mogi on the Nomad charters....have a look. It will be perfect for the job if you're looking for an overhead...

post-5116-1216293611_thumb.jpg

Hi, before I go any further I would like to say great site & I hope to add more feedback in the future. I've caught a heap of kingfish in Sydney harbour over the years, but now keen to give jigging a go after hearing of big fish being taken. Without giving away too many secrets, what are the better know offshore reefs out from the harbour that are worth having a look at in winter or spring. Any help would be great..

hi slasher good to see your horizons have extended to the wider grounds :thumbup: once you start hooking up out there you wont look back and theres nothing like fighting a fat kingie in 50 metres + :yahoo: here are some marks i have caught some nice kings in the past, in the closer reefs to about 50 metres i normally have a nice live squid or fresh one about 2 metres off the bottom which is very productive the wider ones such as 12 mile i normally jig for them hope this helps.

12 mile 33 55 662 151 28 484

the peak 33 55 00 151 21 150

whale south 33 47 075 151 22 485

north head 33 48 333 151 18 450

northerners 33 49 798 151 19 363

colours 33 50 938 151 17 682

cheers warren

Daniel,

Yes i have seen that photo on the Nomad website allready :thumbup: .

i have also watched the video, Mr Mogi is an awesome fisherman and i know he is one of the best, it look's like to me that the reel used is a Shimano Torsa.

I would say when he hook's up solid to the monster doggie he boat's it in what i would say is less then 5 min's.

Overheads reels are not consider the best reels for jigging for a couple of reasons,

When jigging with a overhead reel you are constantly balancing the rod because it naturally wants to spin back to a lowest point position.

Also, It takes you considerably longer to get your jig to the floor then it does with an eggbeater, this is very important because you wanna hit the strike zone straight away and with an eggbeater you literally get down to 100 metres deep about 2-3 times faster then with an overhead, which means you have alot more time to jig.

was jigging at the peak the other day and the torsa was only taking 20-30% longer to to hit bottom than the stella, the torsa had slightly thicker braid as well.

Hi Scon I have one of those Shimano jiggers (4000P) mechanically it will handle any fish you are likely to encounter on a jig, I fish PE8 on it to the max. Be sure to get the "P" models with lower gear ratio for more cranking torque. The narrow spool is essential. It's also my go to for big livies & downrigging. As someone else has mentioned it's the reel of choice in locations like Three Kings & LHI

the downsides are no local support, and no ratchet! G/L with whatever you choose, all the suggested reels are well up to the task.

Jig