Harbour 14/7

Josh88

Hi all,

Went out on the harbour today not knowing what to expect. It was a great day on the water but pretty slow.

We left roseville boat ramp around 6am and of course at the end of the no wash zone theres the rowers taking up the whole channel.

Anyway our first stop was middle head in search of some squiddies, and wouldn't you know it 3 in 3 casts all about half a kilo. We then tried south head for no more and picked up a tiddler at Obelisk.

We then decided to give sow and pigs a go for some slimies. We made up the most disgusting burley mix i've ever seen consisting of water, 6 month old freezer burnt pillies,yakkas and prawns. This really got the fishes attention though, -it was the enemy fish. Within minutes we had a school of about 50 leatherjackets coming in from every direction attacking the pilchards and everything else we threw in the water. Even these fish of about 20-30cm bit off our rigs. :ranting2:

Needless to say we got out of there and fished a reef in north harbour :1fishing1: . We only managed bits and pieces here like flounder, tarwhine and snapper but managed to burley up yakkas and got some to use.

From here we tried another reef towards quarantine for not much, then headed over to dobroyd and found the slimies, and we had quite a lot of fun on them with the light gear, triple hook ups with bigger rods in the water and them swimming around everything kept us busy. From there we went well into north harbour where a mate who lives there had told me there was salmon chasing yakkas in a foot of water, we didn't have any luck on them or flatties there.

Back up middle harbour and nothing exciting, heaps of bait for next time though and some calamari to eat.

Cheers

Josh

Hey josh,

I was out today as well, i headed out at midday, much more layed back hours. I saw a school of salmon working the heads but they were extremely boat shy and were not hitting the surface hard. I had three follows on plastics but no hookups. Got 4 nice big morwong inshore and heaps of wrass which will find their way into a tuna cube trail.

I hear you with the leatherjackets, i got a good quantity of new braid snipped off byt the bastards!!!!!!!!!!

Well done on a few nice squid as well

Andrew

good report josh the harbor is a bit slow, got to love the slimmys on a shit day they are a little ray off sunshine and very entertaining

it's reports like this one that give you little hints as to whats happening

i'm trying for an arvo bash at longy tomorow i hope and the slimmys might come in handy live[i have frozen fillets]nothing like a quivering slimmy fillet

so bad luck on the fishing josh but thanks for the heads up on the slimmys

cherrs gary

good report josh the harbor is a bit slow, got to love the slimmys on a shit day they are a little ray off sunshine and very entertaining

it's reports like this one that give you little hints as to whats happening

i'm trying for an arvo bash at longy tomorow i hope and the slimmys might come in handy live[i have frozen fillets]nothing like a quivering slimmy fillet

so bad luck on the fishing josh but thanks for the heads up on the slimmys

cherrs gary

No worries Gary, they were right on the west (i think) cardinal marker and got them right on low tide. About 2 hours later they weren't there only yakkas being very tentative.

I was planning to try the heads but didn't end up doing it :wacko:

Might head back out next monday seeing its last day of school holidays.

Cheers

Josh

Bad luck Josh but a bit of fun anyway.

Slimies seem to be thick everywhere. I got into them in MH a few weeks ago and couldn't get a bait past them in Pittwater on Sunday. Even caught them on a home made slug lure which was fun.