Sevylor Fish Master - Inflatable Boats

naddy

hey guys,

just EOI at the moment..

was wondering what are ur thoughts, pro's/con's on getting an inflatable boat for estuary fishing.

i went out on the weekend with my mate on his boat and have learnt that having a boat takes soo much effort, maintenance, money, petrol - more work then i imagined

so i have decided to go with something pratical, easy to use, low cost maintenance

this is the boat ive been thinking about - im getting a good deal from a local shop

http://www.qualityadventure.com/ft325.html

what are ur thoughts!

please help..

p.s. where can i get a small gas 2hp-5hp engine for the boat?

post-7695-1216084570_thumb.jpg

hey guys,

was wondering what are ur thoughts, pro's/con's on getting an inflatable boat for estuary fishing.

what are ur thoughts!

I would be concerned about using anything inflatable when fishing.

Hooks, fish spines, knives, anchors, snags but to name a few.

What about the Poly boats - check out the members boats thread and take a look at what some other Raiders use for their pleasure.

Just a thought.

Cheers

sorry, it will be for more then 1 person to fish on

thanks for your suggestion

get urself a jarvis marine watersnake around 54lb trust, there cheaper then a outboard, dont use any fuel, just need a battery, there also quiet and dont need serving like outboards :thumbup:

Hi Naddy, good suggestions by the guys. Here are my thoughts about the performance (I can not really comment on the fishabilty of the boat because I have never fished from one). I personally would fit a little outboard with in built fuel tnak if it was my boat because with an electric you need a battery and a good size/heavy one to do a days boating and I doubt any electric outboard would really give good perfromance on that boat due to the drag of any inflatable. A 3.3HP would push that nicely and are about the same price as an electric and battery.

Just my 2 cents,

Huey.

Hi Naddy, good suggestions by the guys. Here are my thoughts about the performance (I can not really comment on the fishabilty of the boat because I have never fished from one). I personally would fit a little outboard with in built fuel tnak if it was my boat because with an electric you need a battery and a good size/heavy one to do a days boating and I doubt any electric outboard would really give good perfromance on that boat due to the drag of any inflatable. A 3.3HP would push that nicely and are about the same price as an electric and battery.

Just my 2 cents,

Huey.

Hi Huey,

thanks for ur input

yeah i was leaning more towards a gas motor instead of electronical

do you know what brands i should be looking for at a 3.3hp engine?

and what price range is for a decent one

also, i understand you have to have a 'motor mount' if u do buy one

Hi Naddy, no problem mate. Yes a bracket will be required for any transom mount outboard (either petrol or electric). All small outboards are pretty much the same (you would think they all comes from the same place) and I personally would stick with the main brands like Johnson / Merc or Yamaha. Prices range from about $750 to $1250 depending on HP and how many strokes the outboard has. Second hand below that and by how depends on ALOT of variables, but I am always careful when we trade a small outboard like these because it is very easy for them to go for a swim when used as power for a tender boat.

PM me if you would like a quote on suppling the outboard and bracket.

Cheers,

Huey.

Some of the cheaper nasty inflatables are made of glues and materials they are not good with petrol and oil. The flat bottom inflatables track really poorly in my experience and can must be rowed cautiously and slowly.

I'd be looking at a tougher hypalon version used as a tender as they are much more sturdy and can be repaired. Just have to remember they don't call em deflatables for no reason and buy quality not a problem. They can weigh a far bit in the heavy duty versions so the only real advantage is they are compact to store. Most mates who have them keep them inflated ai t is easier t throw them in the back of the ute than dry them and pack them away. Biggest benefit is carrying capacity as they are so buoyant when the air stays in them. Biggest downsides is repairing them. If there is 2 of you a car toppable ally dinghy will serve you well and easy to launch and you can bump into things. Keep it under 10 knots and 5 hp and no rego etc from memort

Either that or I'd go a kayak or 2

Cheers

Edit - The scanoes are good as well as they are able to be used and loaded by one person or 3, plastic and pretty indestructable and have good space for tackle and a square transom for a little motor be it a leccy or petrol job. They paddle well until you get a motor and if you aren't going far or trolling and silent as well

Edited by pelican

hit anything at more then a knot or two and youll rip it open

saw one heading up the nepean under outboard power 3hp from memory and it was the most uncomfortable looking ride ive ever seen anyone experience as the whole boat flexs no rigidness to it

try and find a second hand 10 foot inflatable with a part plywood floor maybe, i wouldnt trust my life to it tbh

Edited by Juggs