Wrasse

aquaholic1

hi all you raiders,

went fishing on the week end down in batemans bay area, lucked out on the normal type of fish caught. caught plenty red rock cod, threw them back. caught a heap of wrasse can anyone tell me if they are ok to eat and if so how would you cook them??

thanks for your help.

cheers

johno :1fishing1:

Red rock cod are delicious to eat , sometimes referred to as Poor Mans Lobster !! Great in soup , or cooked and eaten cold .

Wrasse are a pretty good eating table fish , firm white flesh , and mild flavour.

Ross

Thanks Ross

i will keep the rock cod next time and try them. i am a new member and relatively new at salt water fishing so all the help i can get from fellow raiders is appreciated. Are there any Raiders in the Batemans Bay area??

cheers

plenty red rock cod, threw them back. caught a heap of wrasse can anyone tell me if they are ok to eat and if so how would you cook them??

Hi Jonno

Welcome aboard.

Red Rock Cod = Poor Man's Lobster. Delicious white flesh, I normally only keep the big ones.

Wrasse are often thrown back, but I think the flesh is really nice - a delicate white flesh. Be gentle cooking them, as they fall apart really easily. I give them a coating of herbs, then lightly pan fry them.

Mike

hi all you raiders,

went fishing on the week end down in batemans bay area, lucked out on the normal type of fish caught. caught plenty red rock cod, threw them back. caught a heap of wrasse can anyone tell me if they are ok to eat and if so how would you cook them??

thanks for your help.

cheers

johno :1fishing1:

The larger red rock cod are certainly good eating but be careful handling them, they can give a very venemous sting which is extemely painful. Even when trying to fillet them be very careful. With both the wrasse and the rock cod they have to be a good size before it is worth keeping them.

Regards Saltrix

:1welcomeani: mate. I live roughly 40km from Batemans Bay ;)

Hodgey

Hodgey,

Mate i've got an on site caravan at Batehaven so get down as often as i can. I had a stacer 399 proline decked out but was to small to get out amongst it so i sold it and bought a bigger boat. One the wife and small kids feel comfortable in. dont know any spots really other than Snapper Island and the Toll gates so looking for some advice on different spots in the area to try.

Absolute magic part of the word i think.

Cheers

Johno

The larger red rock cod are certainly good eating but be careful handling them, they can give a very venemous sting which is extemely painful. Even when trying to fillet them be very careful. With both the wrasse and the rock cod they have to be a good size before it is worth keeping them.

Regards Saltrix

Yes this is on the money Saltrix, the Red Rockies are a good eat, but if they spike you proper, it is not an experience you will forget or enjoy :thumbdown:

As for the wrasse (Butchers P@@@) OK eat need a bit of size otherwise quite boney :(

Rarely take either, I'm probably a bit fussy :(

Regards

Craig

Thanks Ross

i will keep the rock cod next time and try them. i am a new member and relatively new at salt water fishing so all the help i can get from fellow raiders is appreciated. Are there any Raiders in the Batemans Bay area??

cheers

I live near Bungendore - about 120km inland. I fish BB, Ulladulla, Jervis Bay regularly.

Mate, I copped a sting from a rock cod the other day on the tip of the finger & nearly passed out. Took 4 panadol to numb the pain. I'm too scared to try to eat them now. Respect the rock cod, Beware all!!!!!

Hey guys,

The red rock cod (or skorfino as the italilans call them) are certainly a prized fish for some. They are good in soups as they provide a sweet flavour, although i am not much of a fan for fishy soups, but they certainly provide some good taste. They are bony so only keep bigger ones if not for soup. And they sting like hell if u cop a spine.

The wrass... I have seen them at markets in eastwood for $13 a kilo. So some like them i suppose. Personaly i think they are rubbish. They dry out very easily and have a bland taste. I have tried filleting them and when frying they fall apart very easily. I suppose some ppl may like them or tolerate them but i beg to differ. Its easy to catch them in huge numbers, they are everywhere!!! I use them for bait and they are quite a successful additive to a tuna cube trail :1prop:

Andrew