Shoalhaven Heads (nsw Sth Coast)

ianoc69

I have limited access to a family caravan down South NSW at Shoalhaven Heads and was hopeful that a Fishraider may be familiar with the area for a Land Based flick.

Mainly chase Flathead & Bream with Soft Plastics

Any help most welcome

Your best hope is Grozzo. Wayne lives down there I think!

If your after SERIOUS shore bashing....A guy I met today showed me a pic of his first ever Kingy. Weighed in at a whopping 18KG!!!!! :1yikes::1yikes:

He got it down at Jervis Bay of the Tubes. :risata:

But be warned...This spot involves a trek of more than an hour through bush and scrub, and a climb down a cliff!!!...All this while you carry more than 50KG of tackle down there! :risata::risata:

I read an article on that spot Joe where people do some serious land based game fishing (LBG) and they were going for marlin off the rocks :1yikes: .  They even had inflatable pools set up to put their livies in!

30237[/snapback]

Yeah Ken...and its all true! I think the first video made about LBG was called Land Based Addiction. I think that was filmed there!

Over the years there have been some monstors taken of the stones at the Tubes. Its because of the way the warm currents come in at that spot. Interestingly, most of the water below the Tubes is of limits to boats as there is a lot of un-exploded ordanance down there and a lot of the area is a Marine Park I think.

Guest bluecod
Over the years there have been some monstors taken of the stones at the Tubes. Its because of the way the warm currents come in at that spot. Interestingly, most of the water below the Tubes is of limits to boats as there is a lot of un-exploded ordanance down there and a lot of the area is a Marine Park I think.

30241[/snapback]

If you're thinking of fishing Beecroft Peninsula - you'd better familiarise yourself with this lot Jervis Bay Marine Park.

I haven't read it myself but I think I remember hearing that due to the huge amounts of rubbish left at the tubes by absolute dic*head anglers, there is a ban on taking plastic bags into there as well.

The tubes is not the only spot down there that fishes well however a lot of the rock ledges are regarded as being pretty dangerous in any sort of sea.

Marlin off the rocks was filmed at jervis bay the tubes but landbased addiction was only filmed there for a little while also at tomaree and further nth not quite sure. And yes is a real dangerous spot so take care. narra just about every1 serious with lbg uses those pools 2 keep liveys. I have read some articles people have articles then some 1 will walk past and pour in sumthing like rid and this kills all the liveys. Good luck any way ian :thumbup:

Just my 2 bob's worth - and I might be wrong - but - places like the Tubes are good for your big pelagics - but not your 'bread & butter' rock fishing.  I fished Devil's Gorge down there back in the 70's. The rock ledges drop into VERY deep water - thats what brings the pelagics in close.  I tried for bream & stuff once and it was a total waste of time. 

I believe the Tubes is same sort of thing.  Unless you are geared up with high speed spin gear or want to float livies out with serious LBG tackle then I would look for something a bit easier.

30406[/snapback]

I agree with your comments Pedro

The Tubes is a longer term propsect that is of interest and I would like to pursue at some point with suitable gear.

My initial preference is for an easier location that can be fished solo and at times with the kids.

Appreciate the input by all and welcome any further tips / advice on reasonable qulaity shore based flicking.

I agree with your comments Pedro

The Tubes is a longer term propsect that is of interest and I would like to pursue at some point with suitable gear.

My initial preference is for an easier location that can be fished solo and at times with the kids.

Appreciate the input by all and welcome any further tips / advice on reasonable qulaity shore based flicking.

30415[/snapback]

if you wanna get into some land based action, you could try Broughton creek down there. You can fish under/next to the road bridge that runs atop the creek at the opening (Bolong rd i think?).. it's not too bad for bream and flatties, and definately a sp area... cast a bigger bait out further into the channel (about 30-40m) for a jew on the run up tide... this is a good kids spot, as there is a nice safe bank to fish from...

this is one spot that i definately know about... if you then drive west from the bridge towards Nowra, the road will cut back close to the river at times, and you can stop the car and fish anywhere along here. not too sure about how kid friendly these spots are, you'll have to cut across a clearing/ jump the odd fence, but easy stuff....

another option is the boat ramps / rocks around the creeks entrance itself (at Hay ave, wharf rd, etc)... these spots have also been known to produce a few jews, but i havn't fished these spots, so wouldn't know for sure how they go...

hope this gets you going.. shoalhaven is a good system... get into it..

D

Guest bluecod

Besides the haunts of the pelagics, everytime I've bait fished the beaches down that way I have not drawn a blank. Always good for the usual bream, whiting flathead, tailor and salmon.

If you're ever over on the other side of JB try Steamer's Beach - a bit of a hike in but can be rewarding - years ago I saw a bloke spinning in the corner of the beach and pull out a 17lb snapper.