Kurnell, Cronulla And The Bay

james7

Headed out of Botany about 10am. There was a light breeze and surprisingly, it was a bit choppy outside. We stopped about 1km off the lighthouse in about 50m.

First drift Steve manages a nice flattie about 41cm. Pick-A-Box Syd and myself could only manage little flatties.

post-4381-1216341559_thumb.jpg

We try a few more drifts and I pick up two good flathead.

Things go quiet so we head down south. Steve picks up a good mowie and a sweep while Syd and myself managed just rockcod and other rubbish. Again it goes quiet so we try in close off Cronulla. Syd finally gets a small but legal flattie and a couple of jackets. It was beautiful on the water now.

We head back to the Bay to try for a few trevs and watch the sun setting.

post-4381-1216341637_thumb.jpg

No trevs, just baby snapper

post-4381-1216341679_thumb.jpg

Beautiful sunset over the Bay

post-4381-1216341723_thumb.jpg

This wasn’t the best day out fishing but considering that it’s the first time I’ve been out for a couple of months, I was happy to have some fresh fish to eat again.

Steve was very proud of his mowie

post-4381-1216341765_thumb.jpg

Steve and Pick-A-Box Syd are happy with the mixed bag

post-4381-1216341833_thumb.jpg

I was very happy with my catch, the two biggest flatties and the pigfish

post-4381-1216341888_thumb.jpg

It’s good to spend time on the water with good company like Syd and his mate Steve. The fish are a bonus.

Cheers

Peter

Also, I don't know who you were in that boat next to us back in the Bay, but well done on catching (and releasing) that shark. It looked like extremely light gear you were using. I can't believe it didn't bust you off. Well done mate.

post-4381-1216343657_thumb.jpg

Edited by peterS

Headed out of Botany about 10am. There was a light breeze and surprisingly, it was a bit choppy outside. We stopped about 1km off the lighthouse in about 50m.

First drift Steve manages a nice flattie about 41cm. Pick-A-Box Syd and myself could only manage little flatties.

post-4381-1216341559_thumb.jpg

We try a few more drifts and I pick up two good flathead.

Things go quiet so we head down south. Steve picks up a good mowie and a sweep while Syd and myself managed just rockcod and other rubbish. Again it goes quiet so we try in close off Cronulla. Syd finally gets a small but legal flattie and a couple of jackets. It was beautiful on the water now.

We head back to the Bay to try for a few trevs and watch the sun setting.

post-4381-1216341637_thumb.jpg

No trevs, just baby snapper

post-4381-1216341679_thumb.jpg

Beautiful sunset over the Bay

post-4381-1216341723_thumb.jpg

This wasn’t the best day out fishing but considering that it’s the first time I’ve been out for a couple of months, I was happy to have some fresh fish to eat again.

Steve was very proud of his mowie

post-4381-1216341765_thumb.jpg

Steve and Pick-A-Box Syd are happy with the mixed bag

post-4381-1216341833_thumb.jpg

I was very happy with my catch, the two biggest flatties and the pigfish

post-4381-1216341888_thumb.jpg

It’s good to spend time on the water with good company like Syd and his mate Steve. The fish are a bonus.

Cheers

Peter

Also, I don't know who you were in that boat next to us back in the Bay, but well done on catching (and releasing) that shark. It looked like extremely light gear you were using. I can't believe it didn't bust you off. Well done mate.

post-4381-1216343657_thumb.jpg

Xlent stuff mate, I hope the people in that photo get to see it. It's a cracker, they may want to frame it!

you say rock cod are rubbish

boil them up like lobster , scrape the flesh out

and serve on a bed of chilled lettuce with seafood sauce

Hi robeebee

My mistake. Actually, I like rock cod, but this one was way too small. It would have been only about 20cm. The "rubbish" I was referring to were Maori wrasse and !@!*# Mado, not one of my favourites. :1badmood:

Funny that you should reply robeebee, because I was telling Syd and Steve as we left the Oatley ramp about your and your dad's successful exploits in the Georges. I was very jealous of the great bream and flathead you've caught! Do you ever use bait, or just stick to plastics?

Cheers

Peter

Terrific report Peter and some top photos. :thumbup:

That's quite a variety you had in the bag, with some delicious eating :drool: Good weather, good mates and a feed of fish ... it doesn't come much better than that. ;)

Hodgey

You've don't it again Peter :thumbup: especially when everybody else is struggling to get anything decent. Take a look at the old Pic-A-Box Syd with Steve at the table. You'll notice how Syd has distracted Steve and has got his eyes on the big flathead. You've got to watch the old Syd, somehow he manages to gives you two fish and only takes one. :lol:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Do you ever use bait, or just stick to plastics?

Cheers

Peter

we gave up on bait about 2 years ago

light tackle and soft plastics = FUN

Dad's flattie from Monday out of Oatley

Edited by robeebee

we gave up on bait about 2 years ago

light tackle and soft plastics = FUN

Dad's flattie from Monday out of Oatley

That flattie's a monster robeebee. I've got to give those soft plastics a go sooner or later. If I am half as successful as you and your dad usually are I'd be very happy indeed! And it's so close to where I live too! I suppose it's silly me living on the Georges River and I know nothing about fishing it! Let me know when you're putting out the dvd. I'll order one now! Or perhaps you could "lend" me your dad for a session! :biggrin2:

Great report and good day. BTW what boat were you in looked like a quintrex bowrider?

You're spot on achjimmy. It's my mate "Pick-A-Box" Syd's boat. He's had it about eighteen months now and it's a good all purpose boat. Much more comfortable than my 3.95m Stacer!

Cheers

Peter