Nice Jewfish At Spencer

mmarkich

went down to spencer today (saturday 19 july) for a fish with the missus. i promised her that she would catch something good since i conned her into going fishing on a 5 degree celcius morning but i didnt want her to get a bigger one than me lol . i had some fresh calamari i caught two nights before and i said to my wife with a smirk that this is garanteed to catch a big jewfish, so i casted it out for her and wihin ten minutes the rod had a few nibbles on it and then it slowly pulled down, so i said to my wife "hit it" so she pulled back and BANG the line started pealing off 100mph. it kept going and going to the point that there was about 5 mtrs of line left on the reel. my wife got worried she was going to loose it and said to me you take over. so i grabbed the rod adjusted up the drag as much as i could without snapping the line and i got into it. at first i was sure it was a stinger but after about 20 minutes of fighting i finally felt some head shakes, so i said to the wife get the gaff ready and after about another five minutes of fighting we saw colour and then the adrenalin started .i finally got it up and gaffed it first go. after getting it in the boat we discovered that it was only hooked by the small keeper hook so we were very lucky to land it . it weighed 27.5 pound and was 111cm long after that i caught a average bream and got nothing else for the rest of the day but a couple of small tailor

the day was perfect, good company, good weather and the best of all "good fish"

post-5094-1216466276_thumb.jpg

post-5094-1216466291_thumb.jpg

post-5094-1216466354_thumb.jpg

lovely jew there!

Its a great place to fish up there but only for either the die hard fisho or mentaly insane in winter. If it got any colder up that way you would have to get the ice fishing gear!

That is a fantastic fish mate and a terrific reward for your 'cheese & kisses' for braving the conditions. It must have been quite an experience for her, watching the line disappear in ever-diminshing layers. :1yikes: Congrats to you both on a great fish! :thumbup:

Hodgey

I don't recognise the ramp where the photos are taken to be one anywhere around Spencer???

no i launch at berowra allways. its the best ramp in the hawkesburry

Great jewie. well done! Whereabouts in Spencer did you catch it?

just up from the caravan park off one of the creeks that come out of the mangroves

Nice jewfish 10ftUFO :thumbup: By hooking a jewfish of that size I'll bet your wife will be much keener next time to keep you company down there at Spencer, that's for sure.

For many weeks now the downriver areas have not been producing, and going on good results around Spencer in previous years, it would be definately worthwhile spending a lot more time upriver in places like Marlo and Spencer, rather than wasting bait and good fishing time fishing anywhere between the bridges and the mouth.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Congrats mate... :thumbup:

Thats a solid jewie!

Good to hear you got that jewie you have been hunting, at least since i met you down at the spit in manly that time.

you got my vote for FOTM...

Cheers,

Ryhno

no i launch at berowra allways. its the best ramp in the hawkesburry

just up from the caravan park off one of the creeks that come out of the mangroves

Wold that be Neverfail caravan park up Mangrove creek? I was busted off by something up there a while ago. Couldn't stop it