Some More Nice Squid

niggles

G'Day All,

Managed another good session on the water yesterday. Decided to target some more calamari - didn't turn a reel for a couple hours, but conditions looked good so we stuck it out. Our persistence started to pay off at the end of the run-out tide as my brother was first in with a decent specimen.

My turn next as I hooked another, a slightly better one that ended up going 28cm mantle length. My mate Andy, having done a great job on the net somehow "accidentally" pointed the squid at me while unhooking it and you guessed it, my face ended up in the line of fire....thankfully no ink was involved, so just a nice thick clear slime....felt especially nice in the westerly breeze. Thanks Andy, I'll keep that in mind for next time... :biggrin2:

Next take I got felt a bit smaller at first.... then it realised it was hooked. It was soon clear that this was no average squid :1yikes: , and on light gear was going to take a while. Only lightly hooked, it was heart in the mouth stuff for nearly the next hour (!!), and for around 20 minutes he'd taken us to the bottom and was tangled in weeds. Somehow luck was on our side and Andy did another great job on the net, though I decided it safer to handle this one myself :biggrin2: . At 42cm mantle and just over a metre overall, it just beats my previous best from around three weeks back :thumbup:.

A few more casts late in the arvo scored several more hookups - all decent sized, but all dropped. Unfortunately Andy missed out on another nice one as I was a bit impatient on the net. By now the westerly had backed right off and it was just awesome being on the water.

All in all another great day :thumbup: Mmmm... looking forward to calamari for dinner.

Cheers,

Niggles.

post-5483-1216536206_thumb.jpg

post-5483-1216536269_thumb.jpg

post-5483-1216536312_thumb.jpg

PS. My mate Andy has been doing well of late; the other day he took this nice Sambo on the beach after a good tussle. He noticed the school in the surf from his place, picked up a little 4lb bream rod and ran down the hill. He'd done the same trick over summer on a decent Kingie too...Nice :biggrin2:

post-5483-1216536792_thumb.jpg

Well done on the squid niggles. 42cm mantle would've provided plenty of calamari.

Were you fishing in the harbour?

Cheers

Josh

G'Day Josh,

Yep - plently of calmari rings! We were fishing in Pittwater.

Cheers,

Niggles.

G'Day Josh,

Yep - plently of calmari rings! We were fishing in Pittwater.

Cheers,

Niggles.

From that 2nd pic i'd be guessing possibly either near avalon yacht club or down the end past scotland island....just guessing :1prop: