New Reels - What Line?

wakd

Hi Folks,

I just received two new reels this week. A Chronarch 101A to match up with my BD Bass Predator 3-5kg, and a Tica Taurus 3000 for my BD Waverider 4-7kg. I dropped into the local tackle shop, and asked about line for the Tica, and ended up getting talked into 20lb Fins PRT - they didn't have 15lb which I would have preferred. After thinking about it some more, I decided I'll put the Fins on my Chronarch, so question one is, do I need mono backing on the Chronarch? Do I spool it just like a spin reel (this is my first baitcast reel)? I normally use an arbor knot to attach line to the reel, then a Stren to attach the mono to the braid. Does it matter what breaking strain the mono backing is?

Next question is what should I use on the Tica 3000? My first thought was to use Fireline XDS, but the guy at the tackle shop reckons Fireline was too "wiry" in the higher breaking strains and reckoned a true braid was the go (I don't think he had tried XDS though) - this is how I ended up with the 20lb Fins. By the way, the Tica seems alright, though I was a bit shocked by the weight - it weighs 100g more than a Stradic 4000, which in retrospect is what I should have got probably, but hey, thats what you get for buying sight unseen. The real test will be when I try out the drag on a king...

Cheers,

Ben.

On Spin reels I use Fireline, up to 14lb is OK, and breaks at about 28lb. The Fins is a bit too soft to use on a Spin Reel. On Baitcasters, I mainly use Bionic Braid now. The new 8lb for light work, 20lb for heavier Spinnerbaits and 30 and 50lb for Barra stuff.

If you've got a spare couple of reels, with no line on them, wind you braid straight onto the spool of the chronarch and then add mono till the spool is full. Wind the mono off onto one reel then the braid onto another. Wind the mono back onto the Chronarch and join to the braid with a bimini twist and albright. Don't try to tie the braid directly to the Chronarch spool as it will slip.

Hi Ben

I know what you mean about the weight of the Tica. I have the smaller Taurus 2000s, and I couldn't believe how much it weighed when I got it. (I got it off the net, so like you, I hadn't seen it in the flesh before I owned it).

The drag on mine is a little bit sticky at the moment. You might be interested to know that I'm sending the spare spool to Jack Erskine so he can see if he can do anything about an upgrade. If you want, I'll let you know how I go. I imagine this will take a few weeks before I get it back.

Cheers

Tim