Lead Melting Pot

Hooky.

G'day Raiders :biggrin2:

Just wondering if any of you have had anything to do with lead melting pots and in particular the "Lee Production Pot IV"?

I'm sick of ladling the lead into my molds and would rather have a melting pot that has the outlet underneath like the Lee has.

Also, if you do own one, is it possible to take the base off and put a spacer in to raise the height up about an inch or more?

My moulding machine has a height of roughly 4 5/8" (roughly 117.5mm) but once I put it on tracks to automatically place the mould/press in position under the pot tap, it could be around the 5" - 5 1/4" high (roughly 127 - 133.5mm). :(

Next question, does anybody know of dealers, be it gun shops, tackle shops and/or craft type shops that may sell the Lee melting pots? Preferably around westen and south western Sydney although I'm willing to travel further afield if need be and also willing to purchase interstate for the right price.

I'm looking at online shops in the US but from what I can work out so far, it isn't working out much cheaper to buy o/s. That is unless someone else knows of other reputable online shops (use pm or email system for that info). I've tried the usual haunts.

post-9-1216805164_thumb.jpg

cheers and thanks

Hooky

Edited by Hooky.

mate check this thread out...

has all of what you want or need...

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...mp;#entry250303

the gun shop out at horsley park has them but ring in advance as last time i was there he was outa stock...

sounds like you have a serious little production line happening...

cheers...steve...

Ah shoot, did a search but obviously not properly. Sorry Raiders :1prop:

Thanks Steve, that's helped somewhat. I had a feeling the gun shop at Horsley Park might be the go.

Will give them a ring tomorrow and see what they have in stock. :thumbup:

Might go the Lee Pro 4 20 pot yet!!!

Gees there's not much info on melting pots on the net for Oz shopping websites or other stuff. :05:

Have you made any yet?

Tom has calibrated my scales so we can get an accurate weight

Patience Grasshopper........ :chair:

cheers

Hooky

no worries hookey.

i went through the research thing on net also about a year ago and a mate who is an old bushie and shoots alot uses a lee one and raved about how good it was..

i figured it would be great for sinkers but couldnt be bothered modding one at the time...

then that great post came up with all the info needed to get it done.i still have enough from years ago so maybe when i get abit low i may get motivated to do it....

just be careful but sounds like youve done abit of leadwork before...

i think the best i could get the 20 outa the bloke was $130 so buying os is outa the question funily enough.

cheers...steve.....

no worries hookey.

i went through the research thing on net also about a year ago and a mate who is an old bushie and shoots alot uses a lee one and raved about how good it was..

i figured it would be great for sinkers but couldnt be bothered modding one at the time...

then that great post came up with all the info needed to get it done.i still have enough from years ago so maybe when i get abit low i may get motivated to do it....

just be careful but sounds like youve done abit of leadwork before...

i think the best i could get the 20 outa the bloke was $130 so buying os is outa the question funily enough.

cheers...steve.....

Yeah, will definately be modding one to suit my setup.

I'm actually a toolmaker and done plenty of moulding (lead, zinc, aly, plastics, rubber etc) and made countless moulds to suit, as well as presstools and other crap made from steel over the years.

Making jighead moulds and jigheads gives me a hobby and also something to make when it's quiet at work. :biggrin2:

Got plenty of unfinished projects as well. :wife:

catch ya

Hooky

If you buy a pot, make sure you take it out of its box and give it a gentle little shake to see if you can hear any thing rattling inside. The heating wire is surounded by a ceramic coating and it doesnt take much for it to break away. The more that is broken off the wire the less heat you will get. They may look sturdy on the outside but once you pull them apart you will see how fragile the ceramic is. Over time and with a lot of use and a few bumps here and there, bits will break off and it will take longer to heat your lead and maintain it at a constant temperature, but with any new product you want it working 100%. I have about 5 working models at the moment and parts from another 4-5, that have seen better days. They are easy to clean and maintain and you will get used to the burns :1prop: .

Just a word of warning for all the guys out there melting tire weights, just bare in mind that they not only contain lead, but also antimony and worst of all arsenic, which is used as a hardening agent. The fumes that are produced are very toxic. If you can find it/afford it pure lead is the best as it has a lower melting point.

G'day all

Thanks for the info.

For those interested, I rang The Horsley Park Gun Shop today and they sell the "Lee Production Pot IV" for $110.00 and the "Lee Pro 4 20" pot for $150.00.

None in stock as of today but they may be receiving stock of both models tomorrow (Friday 25th), if not, definately by mid to end of next week.

cheers

Hooky

G'day all

Thanks for the info.

For those interested, I rang The Horsley Park Gun Shop today and they sell the "Lee Production Pot IV" for $110.00 and the "Lee Pro 4 20" pot for $150.00.

None in stock as of today but they may be receiving stock of both models tomorrow (Friday 25th), if not, definately by mid to end of next week.

cheers

Hooky

Several Lee Production Pots for sale on ebay from a local aussie gunshop that has been around for years with a good rep.

My old production pot is now about 20 yrs old and still runs like new.

Be a pretty easy job to raise the pot up if needed.

Jack.