Bream Busters! ! !

top breamer

Guides are up to you. I have a Bream Buster with Alconites and a Beast Buster with Titamium SICS. Miller will also do a combination of TATS and Recoils for lightness.

Blank-wise, he has his own rolled up overseas. They are good blanks albeit a little brittle. They have multi tapers which means they have very fast actions which I love.

Hi Top Breamer :)

Since your question was about Bream Busters Ian will build whatever you want in terms of guides - my personal preference is for a Silicon Titanium stripper and tip with REC guides in between :thumbup:

No one other than Ian knows where the blanks are custom built for him and to his specifications.

There's VERY few australian rod builders that get their blanks purpose built for our conditions, most are doing their best with blanks designed for the overseas market, or general purpose. Not that there is anything wrong with that, there are some very gifted builders out there.

My advice would be to play with plenty of different styles from as many companies as you can before outlaying the folding stuff - a custom rod certainly isn't cheap.

My favorite is the Ultra Finesse, nothing casts light weights further ;)

Hope this helps.

Hey Davey boy

Being another Millerods fan, what's your preference on grips, cork or camo?

Having both, and fishing them both for over 18months, I still haven't made my mind up what I like best.

Cork has stand the test of time as some of my original Millers that are over 5 years old still look brand new and you know how much we use these things!

My preference on guides are Gold cermets, best looking guides on the planet and mix it in with the black gold styling, SWEEET!

G

heyy Greg L are the cermets the top of the line guide from fuji ??

also...with the camo grip does that make the rod heavier?or lighter than having regular cork grips

i no that they are a expensive rod to get built so i dont really want to rush into it atm bcoz if i puchase a rod from him ill make sure that it is the best i can afford, also can i get him to make me what ever length i want it to be or are his blanks all one standard size???

cheers

Top Breamer

also...with the camo grip does that make the rod heavier?or lighter than having regular cork grips

i no that they are a expensive rod to get built so i dont really want to rush into it atm bcoz if i puchase a rod from him ill make sure that it is the best i can afford, also can i get him to make me what ever length i want it to be or are his blanks all one standard size???

cheers

Top Breamer

The Cermets are the Muts Nuts!! They are so light and 100% corrosion resistant. I have built several rods with Cermets and they barely hinder the naked blank's performance. They will cost you though.. about 260-320 a set depending on the mix of sizes.

Length wise, he has standard models and will do customs.... I would take his recommendation though.

As for grip weights - cork is lighter than the Matagi styled super support EVA but a little heavier than standard EVA. I my humble, it doesn't make much difference. Cork will last longer. EVA Tends to deteriorate in the sun and salt. They start to go shiny and get pitted and although they can be replaced, it usually involves removing the guides too which can be costly.

Just buy one of each.. that's what I would do!!! :thumbup:

Edited by Cephalopod

cheers

Top Breamer

Hi TB

I'm pretty sure they are the top end of guides, I'd hate to spend any more on them!

It's very hard to say what is lighter, I don't have 2 of the same rods with different grips.

All my Brawlers and Wharfies are cork and all my ultra finesse ones are Camo.

Both are fantastic to fish with and that's why I struggle to give an opionion on whats best.

I personally think cork looks more like a $1200 rod!

Remember Ians rods have casting weights in the butt of them, you can take weights out if you have a heavier reel on to balance the rod up to the reel.

Length wise he can do anything.

A few years ago I wanted a 6ft rod for flicking underhand lures deep under jetties. About a year later I got my first Wharfie.

A couple of years ago I wanted a rod built up for my son. Short for easy rod control, super light as he was only 5 and some funky thread work. A year later the Wharfie Jr was sent to my office......

Ian is a true rod crafter, makes a spectacular rod but with all good things they take time......

If money is not an issue go a Millernium series.

Here you get a hand picked blank which he sorts out with each shipment, he told me some shipments don't even get 1 blank into the series.

You get custom thread work and even some of mine have pictures of target fish done from thread!

Very cool looking......

They come with Cermets.

Cheers

Greg

Missed this one - been a bit slack :wacko:

I've got custom grips on all mine, dual cork with a timber insert as below.

The only different one is the 'rod wrap' that sits directly onto the cork. I quite like it but it is a freaky feeling when it flexes to a big fish! This rod is a loaner from Ian.................. that I've managed to hold onto for 3 or so years ;) It's a very lucky one and has pulled 3 Bream over 2kgs.

post-85-1217809611_thumb.jpg

Missed this one - been a bit slack :wacko:

I've got custom grips on all mine, dual cork with a timber insert as below.

The only different one is the 'rod wrap' that sits directly onto the cork. I quite like it but it is a freaky feeling when it flexes to a big fish! This rod is a loaner from Ian.................. that I've managed to hold onto for 3 or so years ;) It's a very lucky one and has pulled 3 Bream over 2kgs.

Dave

I see you have the "Andrew's Fishing" baby reel seats.. I have a couple of those but they don't fit the reel foot on my 1000's. There is a significant gap between the hood and the timber barrel. Did you cut yours down? If not, what reels are you using. :biggrin2:

Dave

I see you have the "Andrew's Fishing" baby reel seats.. I have a couple of those but they don't fit the reel foot on my 1000's. There is a significant gap between the hood and the timber barrel. Did you cut yours down? If not, what reels are you using. :biggrin2:

I've got Diawa Revros 2006's on all mine they fit pretty nice. I had some Quantums that didn't fit well but taped the ends of the reel seats and they came up nice and tight.