Battery Chargers?

frangkie

After chatting to some other fishraiders I've decided to buy a motorguide wireless electric and i'm now trying to work out powering it etc.

sorry bout all the questions, i just want to make sure i get the most out of the new toy.

:wacko:

for a 140 ah battery what is the optimum amount of amps to charge it at? eg 7, 10, 15etc.

is it worth buying a charger like a c tek which makes it fool proof for people like me who aren't sure?

what chargers do you blokes use to charge your batteries?

cheers guys :beersmile:

Edited by frangkie

Yes its worth purchasing a good battery charger like the one you mentioned as it will prevent damaged by either overcharging or not getting a full charge into the battery.

A lot cheaper than replacing batteries all the time

Fisherdad

The electronic chargers have a float switch and are automatic.

i.e. They recognise when the battery requires charge, and also when it is full charged, and switch on and off accordingly. Obviously they are much more expensive than a regular charger, however the protection they afford is well worth the extra cash in my opinion.

I have boiled dry more than one battery in the past, hence the move to automatic chargers. I also changed all of my batteries from lead acid refillable, over to deep cycle lead jelly sealed batteries. I have not had to replace a battery for over two years now.

For the records, I have in excess of 30 batteries in my boats, cars and solar setup.

Hope this is of some info.

Cheers

I have used from cheap to very expensive. The best one was half the price of the most expensive and is a Minnkota charger. Maybe look at the whole set of MG including batterys and charger. Then you only have to deal with 1 company if anything goes wrong in the future and you know it's all compitable.

Onboard is the only way to go when your always using the electric. It's just so easy to roll the boat in after washing and plugging the one cable in and pulling it out as I roll it back out to go fishing again.

Also great when your away and charging it out doors, no messy chargers sitting on the deck in the rain!

Greg

Hi, I second what Mariner and Greg say. We have sold and fitted many M/K chargers and they work well and yes the extra to fit an on board one would be what i would be doing if my boat.

Cheers,

Huey.

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine

Hi, I second what Mariner and Greg say. We have sold and fitted many M/K chargers and they work well and yes the extra to fit an on board one would be what i would be doing if my boat.

Cheers,

Huey.

i thought that the mk chargers only charged batteries up to 130 ah?

Edited by frangkie

Hi, yes you are right the MK are only rated to 130AH batteries and I missed the fact that you have yourself a 140AH, must be a big battery and yes I am sure the top of the line ctek would be rated to that and as mentioned in other post I have seen boats with these and the owners are happy with them.

Cheers,

Huey.