Live Bait Rig

Aries

Have been live baiting for kings around the Harbour. Have not been lucky enough to land one this season. Currently im using 60 pund trace 1to 1.5 mtrs with 6/0 mustard hook and the lead varies depending on the current.

mainly using Yellow Tail 10cm range - should I go a bit lighter and smaller???

Any advise would be appriechiated, Thanks

Using such small livies you maybe would wanna go down a size or two in the hook range.. smaller hooks still catch bigger fish !! if your fishing around structure that should be fine 60 lb but if you are just drifting try go 10lb lighter..hope this helps a bit..

cheers,

Rob

always try and match the hook size with the fish. no point in having a 5cm slimey on a 15/0 shark hook

when im live baiting, be it for marlin, to flathead i use circle hooks.

my hook up rate has gone up to almost 90% using them

practice in a bucket of water

if u strike on a circle u will come up with nothing

free spool and a little bit of pressure, you will come up solid every time.

it is also healthier on the fish as 9 times out of 10 it will get stuck in the corner of the mouth and alot more fish arent gut hooked.

give them a try

Edited by djmac

Have been live baiting for kings .................

mainly using Yellow Tail

Any advise would be appriechiated, Thanks

30446[/snapback]

:1onono::1onono:USE SQUID!!!!

Guest bluecod
when im live baiting, be it for marlin, to flathead  i use circle hooks.

it is also healthier on the fish as 9 times out of 10 it will get stuck in the corner of the mouth and alot more fish arent gut hooked.

30454[/snapback]

Got to agree with djmac there, circles are brilliant :1Lighten:

when im live baiting, be it for marlin, to flathead  i use circle hooks.

30454[/snapback]

Got to agree with djmac there, circles are brilliant :1Lighten:

30473[/snapback]

not trying to detract form the other guys input but I never used true full circles on kings simply because some gun SWR king fishos tell me they dont work as well. I know, I know but if anyone knows what works on kings its those guys. they use circles exclusively on bills and the like but with kings reckon they miss a lot.

I usually use mustad live baiters in 3/0-5/0 which are very short shanked and wide gaped but will put up the curry when needed. they can also be carried a bit better by smaller baits.

Im no expert on harbour kings but if you know they are about and your having trouble getting them interested. drop your leader size considerably. most estuary kings are notoriously finicky when it comes to this especially when theyve been hit hard . so going down to 20 lb oir even straight through form your main line will at least get you connected. it obviously increases your chance of a bust off but if you aint getting hooked up in the first place then you aint even in with a chance of loosing one.

My favourite live bait hooks are the VMC ones, they're simply a short o'shaunessy hook, they're pretty good. Mustads are nice and strong, but they blunt easy and aren't too good once resharpened either. Bring your leader down to 30lb -40lb even lighter, anything else is overkill for the harbour fish IMO.

Thanks heaps Guys. I will give all the recommendations a go. I thinks using a lighter leader is a good idea. I have caught Kings outside mainly Jigging down south (Gong) and up north (Coff Harbour) but yet to catch a legal harbour King. I have put in alot of hours in trying.

Went out Saturday afternoon and caught a few squid for the first time in awile have not been able to find them of late, I caught them at wedding cakes after they attacked my yakkas. Big thumpers to. But no Kingies.

Keep trying :1prop: