How Much Water In The Hull Is Considered Normal.

tumra

Guys,

I have a 15 foot fibreglass centre console boat. The boat has a false fbreglass floor. When i bring my boat out of the water after a days fishing and unscrew the plugs at the back, water gushes out of the boat through these holes for about a minute. I have never been really concerned about the amount of water in the hole, but i have been told that having this is too much water to have in the hull. Is this amount of water in the hull normal, or do i have an undiagnoised problem.

Thanks

Anthony

Guys,

I have a 15 foot fibreglass centre console boat. The boat has a false fbreglass floor. When i bring my boat out of the water after a days fishing and unscrew the plugs at the back, water gushes out of the boat through these holes for about a minute. I have never been really concerned about the amount of water in the hole, but i have been told that having this is too much water to have in the hull. Is this amount of water in the hull normal, or do i have an undiagnoised problem.

Thanks

Anthony

Anthony

Consider this

I thought i had a drama with my boat as it was doing the same thing. Everytime i i pulled my boat off the ramp is pissed out water. My mate said that is not normal dude you have a hole or a crack somewhere(my boat was 2 months old)

SO anyway i stressed and stressed i called the guy that services my boat he said try this.

When you wash the boat at home tip it up as much as you can to get the water out and i bet next time you pull the boat out of the water you have bugger all come out of your boat. I tried this and have a guess what bugger all come out.

He said the water coming out on the ramp is from when you wash it and you store it away unless the boat is tipped up a fair amount can stay in there even if you drive around the block after you wash it with the plugs out.

remember on the ramp it is usually at an angle so it will empty out what won't normally come out if you know what i mean.

Every time i was my boat i now put a couple of bricks under the jockey wheel in wind it all the way up water comes out for atleast 20 seconds sometimes more depends how much i used washing it(this is after i have driven around the bloock a couple of time with the plugs out

Hope this is the problem in your case

cheers

Hoges

Edited by hoges1974

Hi Tumra, The sealant used for screws and fittings can weaken over time and allow water to get into the hull.

You often see excessive amounts of water coming out of brand new boats which haven't had the fittings etc sealed well enough during the original fit out.

Water getting into a hull from not sealing the bung screws and the surrounding plate and the accessories properly is the problem ninety five per cent of the time.

Whether a boat is kept outside or under cover, the bungs need to be left out to air the hull and the bow should be raised to allow any rain water etc to drain out .

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

I would consider none as normal.

Most days I have water in my boats but I drive them like I have stolen it! lol

But what gets water inside my boat follows......

-Hitting ferry wakes at 70mph with full livewells causes water to splash around everywhere!

-Jumping one wake to another & then submarine the boat threw the next gets a sh1t load in, not recommended on cold winter mornings especially when you have green water over the front deck, running over the top of the consoles and landing in your lap!

-Doing hi speeds, hooking the boat to send it into a 180 with spray flying everywhere gets it in to.

-Not putting the bungs in when I launch :blush:

So if your not doing silly things like me, check the other stuff the others have recommended ;)

Greg

another cause for getting water in a boat,comes from skin fittings in the side of a boat (like a bilge outlet)when the water slops onto the side of the boat alittle bit goes into the skin fitting and then down through the bilge pump depending on the conditions and the size of the skin fittings ,that can acumalate to plenty of water

cheers arman

I would consider none as normal.

Most days I have water in my boats but I drive them like I have stolen it! lol

But what gets water inside my boat follows......

-Hitting ferry wakes at 70mph with full livewells causes water to splash around everywhere!

-Jumping one wake to another & then submarine the boat threw the next gets a sh1t load in, not recommended on cold winter mornings especially when you have green water over the front deck, running over the top of the consoles and landing in your lap!

-Doing hi speeds, hooking the boat to send it into a 180 with spray flying everywhere gets it in to.

-Not putting the bungs in when I launch :blush:

So if your not doing silly things like me, check the other stuff the others have recommended ;)

Greg

Geeze Greg, here's me wasting my time booking lame jet boat rides when all I had to do was call you! :1prop:

Anthony

another common source of entry for water into the hull is via the bolts

of the motor through the back transon.......again as allready said the cause... due to either

perished or not correctly applied, or ........insufficent sealant.

Cheers Warnie...

get down and have a good look underneath, i was getting water in and thought ide beter check the glass underneath and :1yikes: found a holey crack kinda thing , maybe i hit a submerged log while flying :drunk: i dunno, anyway i panicked at first then after i asked around i got a fibreglass repair kit and fixed it!! it was a piece of cake to fix :yahoo: that was 12 mnths ago and its solid as a rock, hopefully thats not your problem but its just another idea.

Anthony

another common source of entry for water into the hull is via the bolts

of the motor through the back transon.......again as allready said the cause... due to either

perished or not correctly applied, or ........insufficent sealant.

Cheers Warnie...

Yep thats were water was getting in mine.

Good test is tip it right up and fill her up with the hose. if it leaks in it will generally leak out. 1 minutes worth is not good

thanks for all your help guys... Diver1 i have previously checked the buttom of my hull and there was a leak in the hull at the spot where the previous owner repaired a crack. I did touch it up and it did stop alot of the water, though i may have to have another look at it again. I will also check all the other items as suggested in the treads.

Thanks for that.