Kingfish Virgin

Reece2001

Hello Guys,

I have just joined the site, i have been reading some reports today. Looks great!

I have been fishing for bream and whiting and flatties for a few years. Never had a chance to fish for bigger species.

There is alot of talk about kingfish and i know they have a reputation for being good fighters.

I have recently purchased a spheros and nitro rod and i am hoping i can get my first kingfish this spring/summer.

Meanwhile i would like to get as much information as i can.

Please help me with any previous topics or personal experience.. any help will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Reece

Hi Reece,

Do a search of the site for some Netic and Namesays posts. They detail how to target and cach Kingies.

In one of Netics threads he posted a link to a youtube video of him jigging some beauties off Keepin Tabs boat in JB. Netic also has other downrigging kingie youtube videos that are very informative.

One of Namesays threads has screenshots of his sounder actually showing the kings on screen before he catches them. Unbelievable!

Searching the site will also reveal other gems. Thats half the fun of being a Raider.... :thumbup:

Evets

ANy land based spots for kings apart from clifton gargens? I have no boat. Will guys take me out or is it better to get a charter?

Luv to catch a kingi.

besides being pelagic, they got fast metaboliosmns and fast growth rates, they're constantly on the move, anywhere with a bit of depth and a bit of structure and bait will be frequented by kings, i always tell people this and they think im being secretive, im very confident that i cant hook up to a king anywhere in the harbour with a bit of depth and structure when in season, when not in season,

Hello Guys,

I have just joined the site, i have been reading some reports today. Looks great!

I have been fishing for bream and whiting and flatties for a few years. Never had a chance to fish for bigger species.

There is alot of talk about kingfish and i know they have a reputation for being good fighters.

I have recently purchased a spheros and nitro rod and i am hoping i can get my first kingfish this spring/summer.

Meanwhile i would like to get as much information as i can.

Please help me with any previous topics or personal experience.. any help will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Reece

Hey Reece,

I know it may not be the best place in the world to fish for kings but I have seen a few caught at greenwich sailing club during the summer. Very comfortable place to fish as well so give it a shot when the season starts. BTW I have only seen them caught early morning.

Anyways good luck!

depends on your style of fishing

A. plastics and sluggos, when waters warm up hit some wharves that hit deeper water zones and work areas consistently, match your plastic size and colour to the avail baitfish and you should have success (my fav last season was a slimey colour), i would really concentrate on areas east of the harbour bridge.

B. live baiting is ideally the other method, anywhere that is a head and has a constant flow of current should be right with usual livebaiting rigs and freshest baits and have a decent selection out too (squid strip, yakka, pillie etc) to get the food chain going.

Or live bait at the wharves but with no sinker.

C.live squid, fished unweighted at the end of clifton gardens wharf

landing the king once you hook up is another story.

but the story at the end of the day is, sometimes their just not on and you may need to wait till the water warms up before their thick and fish a spot consistently if you know it holds fish.

Cheers Jimmy