Jewfish - Change Of Technique

pacemode

Hi All,

Just got back from a quick session. I have fished this spot quite a few times in the past 3 years ....

BUT i spoke to someone today and decided to change my technique. I usually fish the run up,

but this time I wanted to fish the last of the run out and the dead low.

PLUS

I fished without any weight at all - land based. I started at 8.00 pm - through out 2 squid and

waited ... right on dead low I got nailed and caught this nice 5kg jew. what was interesting though

is that the bait would have been mid water - in 70 foot of water ... will be trying this again from

now on. I also got another hit but it spat the bait. OH yeh, had a nice South Westerly smacking me

in the face which made throwing out unweighted baits HARD !!!

post-2424-1218287787_thumb.jpg

Great fish Jim :thumbup:

An interesting read too, mate. On the limited occasions I have targetted Jewies, it has always been on a run in tide, in the deepest hole I can find. To get a great fish like that, fishing unweighted in mid water, throws a nasty spanner in my technique :biggrin2:

Well done!

Hodgey

Hi All,

Just got back from a quick session. I have fished this spot quite a few times in the past 3 years ....

BUT i spoke to someone today and decided to change my technique. I usually fish the run up,

but this time I wanted to fish the last of the run out and the dead low.

PLUS

I fished without any weight at all - land based. I started at 8.00 pm - through out 2 squid and

waited ... right on dead low I got nailed and caught this nice 5kg jew. what was interesting though

is that the bait would have been mid water - in 70 foot of water ... will be trying this again from

now on. I also got another hit but it spat the bait. OH yeh, had a nice South Westerly smacking me

in the face which made throwing out unweighted baits HARD !!!

post-2424-1218287787_thumb.jpg

Nice fish for the river well done plenty there for the taking mate keep it up.

Hi

I was fishing around gladesville area - but i must say that fish this size are very common this time of year around Parra river. They are though very shy when it coms to feeding as their metabolism slows down. A little tip to fishing for jew on low tide is try to locate an area in the river where you have a shallow bay entering into a drop or a deep hole - they tend to swim out of their holding spots when the tide slows down picking up whatever has been dumped in the hole. Hope that helps. But you have a small time frame to nail them.

Jim