Finally...

finaddict

Finally got my boat and just thought I'll post a few pics up of it.

post-1566-1218354530_thumb.jpg

post-1566-1218354551_thumb.jpg

We took her for a test run today and I kept hearing this beeping sound and the no oil light was flashing. The oil was just below half. I'm going to get the boat serviced but do you think that it caused any damage?

post-1566-1218354626_thumb.jpg

How long and at what revs did you run the motor after the oil alarm? Did it continue after you stopped the motor and restarted?

Perhaps Huey could give advice of what to do if this happens and we have to run the motor.

Any damage , if any would possibly show up in a compression test so have whoever services it check that.

The bigger motors have a 2 stage alarms on the oil bottle .Low oil and no oil. The alarm also goes off if there is no oil pressure at the oil pump. Check the wiring harness and test the oil bottl sensor by tilting the tank. Check the filter at the bottom of the tank doesn't look clogged as some oild leave a sludge. Check oil hose to motor isn't kinked. Check wire to sensor hasn't fallen off on motor and the wiring harness joins under the cowl.

My suggestion to anyone when these alarms go off is if you can't solve the problem quickly or aren't in a safe place is to go slow, low revs for a short distance only. Like 10 minutes. If you need to go further and can't get a tow consider estimating the fuel left in the tank and mix up oil required and some fuel and put it in mixed to the fuel tank and run home.

Hope it is all OK for you and when you get it serviced get them to show you the above checks soyou don't ever get stranded by something that maybe simple.

Could be also an air bubble in the oil that might need to be bled out.

My alarm use to go off in a previous motor. After reading the trouble shooting guide in the book it was pretty easy to fix, even I could do it and I suck at boat maintainence......

Greg

Hi Fin, check your PMs when you get a minute, and as mentioned the "no oil" light wants to be confirmed that it is functionally correctly and yes good idea to get a yearly service on the engine, just make sure the people know what they are doing, because ALOT in this industry do not.

As mentioned the model number you gave does not make sense, but looking at the pictures the engine looks like a 2000 model.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Fin, check your PMs when you get a minute, and as mentioned the "no oil" light wants to be confirmed that it is functionally correctly and yes good idea to get a yearly service on the engine, just make sure the people know what they are doing, because ALOT in this industry do not.

As mentioned the model number you gave does not make sense, but looking at the pictures the engine looks like a 2000 model.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hey Huey,

You read my mind I have heard so many bad stories about marine mechanics not completely knowing what they're doing and they end up having more problems with there motors. If only you were closer..!

If any one has any suggestions please pm me.

In regards to the model number I got it from the metal plate on the outboard and it also has it written down in the book as can be seen below.

post-1566-1218442355_thumb.jpg

Model: BJ 50VL31B

Serial: G 049669186

Is there somewhere else that I get the model from?

Hi Fin, that model number makes sense and your engine is a 2001 (SI is the important part) model. We would only be about 40 minutes from Bankstown so not that bad.

Cheers,

Huey.

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine

Hi Fin, that model number makes sense and your engine is a 2001 (SI is the important part) model. We would only be about 40 minutes from Bankstown so not that bad.

Cheers,

Huey.

Would love to come down Huey but unfortunately I am yet to get a tow bar put on and still am not confident driving yet(almost got stuck at a car wash around a tight corner with my uncle's car).

So it looks like I'm just going to have to find a mobile mechanic in the mean time but I will definately be coming down in the future as I am yet to find any one as knowledgable as you.

Thanks again for all your help,

How long and at what revs did you run the motor after the oil alarm? Did it continue after you stopped the motor and restarted?

Perhaps Huey could give advice of what to do if this happens and we have to run the motor.

Any damage , if any would possibly show up in a compression test so have whoever services it check that.

The bigger motors have a 2 stage alarms on the oil bottle .Low oil and no oil. The alarm also goes off if there is no oil pressure at the oil pump. Check the wiring harness and test the oil bottl sensor by tilting the tank. Check the filter at the bottom of the tank doesn't look clogged as some oild leave a sludge. Check oil hose to motor isn't kinked. Check wire to sensor hasn't fallen off on motor and the wiring harness joins under the cowl.

My suggestion to anyone when these alarms go off is if you can't solve the problem quickly or aren't in a safe place is to go slow, low revs for a short distance only. Like 10 minutes. If you need to go further and can't get a tow consider estimating the fuel left in the tank and mix up oil required and some fuel and put it in mixed to the fuel tank and run home.

Hope it is all OK for you and when you get it serviced get them to show you the above checks soyou don't ever get stranded by something that maybe simple.

Revs went up to 5000 with the beeping and yes after turning the motor off and back on it still was beeping.

I am booking a mechanic soon so hopefully there will be good news.

BTW nice boat tiger! :1prop:

Ahh, ok. If you were Northern Beaches I could have recommended someone but not sure for Bankstown. As Huey says, he is only 40 mins away and even though I have not had my boat to him, his advice on the phone has demonstrated his integrity and I believe it may be well worth the 40 min trip.

Good luck.

Cheers Sunnyboy1

Bankstown

I think I found my twin!!! :biggrin2:

My boat......

post-8021-1218536874_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Cam

Hi Guys, yes I think you might have, becasue not only are they identical colours the rego numbers mean they were sold probably a day or two apart because rego numbers go in sequence. As they say it is a small world and only smaller now with the internet.

Cheers,

Huey.

Would love to come down Huey but unfortunately I am yet to get a tow bar put on and still am not confident driving yet(almost got stuck at a car wash around a tight corner with my uncle's car).

So it looks like I'm just going to have to find a mobile mechanic in the mean time but I will definately be coming down in the future as I am yet to find any one as knowledgable as you.

Thanks again for all your help,

Revs went up to 5000 with the beeping and yes after turning the motor off and back on it still was beeping.

I am booking a mechanic soon so hopefully there will be good news.

BTW nice boat tiger! :1prop:

Mate make the effort to take it to somebody you can trust like Huey. I have had 1st hand the woes of dealing with an incompetant marine mechanic. Plus if you plan your pick up day you can go for a fish in the hawkesbury afterwards :1prop: