4 Yakkas In A Fish Tank

daleyboy

If you fed them prawn and thy are imported don't put them back in the waterways. There is a huge concern about introducing disease into out waterways from imported prawns. This is why no fishing bait prawns are imported into Australia. When the experiment is over - on the compost heap not back into our waterways.

Yea im aware of that and its all good, i've got some frozen hawkesbury school prawns i bought from the fish markets ... just tried giving them some tiny pieces which they werent interested in, however theres a fair bit of flow in the tank so the pieces flew past em and were on the bottom in a matter of seconds.

Will try some again on the weekend, they still look fine tho :biggrin2:

Think i might turn the 2nd pump off next time i feed em as well

Tank Size = 2ft Wide, 1ft Deep, 15inches high

Edited by daleyboy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the end the crab had shed it's shell, the shell was in one piece, amazing that a hard shelled animal can flip up the underbelly flap up and then crawl out leaving the shell still intact.

On a similar note, I got sick of stocking Little Poddy's goldfish tank with Goldy's that would eventually die off.....so we went for Fresh Water Yabbies and they are so dead easy to look after...feed every couple of days...they too shed their shell and then promplty eat it again....we only have two in the tank but they look very healthy and watching them amble around the tank is far more exciting than the text book goldy's, particularly when they compete in their own version of WWF.

I highly recommend if you are looking for an alternative....

Text book names though - Chomp and Snap's - no guesses for who named them.

On a similar note, I got sick of stocking Little Poddy's goldfish tank with Goldy's that would eventually die off.....so we went for Fresh Water Yabbies and they are so dead easy to look after...feed every couple of days...they too shed their shell and then promplty eat it again....we only have two in the tank but they look very healthy and watching them amble around the tank is far more exciting than the text book goldy's, particularly when they compete in their own version of WWF.

I highly recommend if you are looking for an alternative....

Text book names though - Chomp and Snap's - no guesses for who named them.

I've got a recommendation for this too..

If you are thinking of keeping them, don't goto the aquarium and buy them for whatever they cost..

I think normally its like $5 for a tiny one, or $20 for a big one...

or its like $50 for a marron..

I just goto the fishmarket and buy the liveliest ones I can find and put them in the tank.. they cost like $2 each for a redclaw yabby the size of a $20 aquarium bought one; and marron cost $40/kg or something.

its really cool watching them eat frozen bloodworms .. its amazing how they can use their legs to pick up the worms without even looking.. and they eat really quickly.

warning about keeping yabbies with fish... the yabbies will eat your fish.. and they will usually choose the most expensive one :1prop:

and when the yabbies shed their shells, the fish will get their revenge and eat the yabby or at least peck it to death while their new shell is still soft.

Edited by Kit

Maybe we could start a poll.

Guess how long before any yakkas kark it - if at all.

Will they last 1 month and beyond. :wacko:

My estimate is 12 to 14 days before a fatality occurs. If they go beyond 2 weeks then they will live forever.

Interesting Post, I keep and breed tropical fish.

I have often wondered about taking the live bait home and setting up a saltwater tank.

Or perhaps a baby bream or snapper.

Salt does appear to be a bit more involved though.

I will be watching intently to see the Yakka Project progress :biggrin2:

Yesterday arvo when i got home one was half dead - floating upside down on the bottom - looked like he had a fungal or bacterial infection, redness around the tail etc

The other 3 were fine and i took them out for a fish this morning .. as you'd expect though i had one out all day under a float for not even a touch thats :1fishing1:

bought 3 home this time, 2 of them were the ones i had caught last week so interesting to see if they last another week.

did find some fresh ones while i was out but most of em were absoute horses .. one of em was the biggest yakka i have seen by far so spongy took that one home to try for eating

Edited by daleyboy

Interesting Post, I keep and breed tropical fish.

I have often wondered about taking the live bait home and setting up a saltwater tank.

Or perhaps a baby bream or snapper.

Salt does appear to be a bit more involved though.

I will be watching intently to see the Yakka Project progress :biggrin2:

You can keep bream in freshwater.

I once tried "converting" a bream to fresh water over a period of 2 days.. it died after a week.

Next time I didn't bother with the conversion and just put them in my freshwater tank.. they lived in my freshwater tank for over 6 months.. not sure why they eventually died.. could be due to overcrowding of the tank.

Yesterday arvo when i got home one was half dead - floating upside down on the bottom - looked like he had a fungal or bacterial infection, redness around the tail etc

The other 3 were fine and i took them out for a fish this morning .. as you'd expect though i had one out all day under a float for not even a touch thats :1fishing1:

bought 3 home this time, 2 of them were the ones i had caught last week so interesting to see if they last another week.

did find some fresh ones while i was out but most of em were absoute horses .. one of em was the biggest yakka i have seen by far so spongy took that one home to try for eating

Well I salted and grilled that horse yakka....

Eating wise, Definitely eatable, but not a JohnDory....

Just took out one of the yakkas that i caught last week as it was lying on its side at the bottom of the tank.

Gave him a spike in the brain and threw him in the freezer for bait.

2 yakkas left, 1 i caught last week and 1 i caught on saturday.

For a tank my size i reckon 3 yakkas will last a week without changing the water without too many problems at all.

• 3 weeks later...

I would think BI stands for Bait1

& B2 stands for Bait2

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Spot on the money ... as usual jewgaffer ;)

And hopefully they'll both be fulfilling their destinies early tomorrow morning :)

Edited by daleyboy

Well it's been over a month now and one question remains unanswered.

Do they have tongues still in tact?

Obviously in their natural habitat these "doctors" could possibly provide some alterior motive for them to remain in the fishes mouth.

Just wondering with the habitat removed, if they can still sustain life without a tongue, in captivity.

Are you feeding them flakes or "solid" food?

Why is it so??