Lake Lyell Trout

Dan1977

Hi Raiders

After a couple of fairly good trips previously I decided to brave the freezing cold weather and took a trip with Mr A to Lake Lyell. It was bloody windy in the morning with a chill factor of -3 but after it settled down around lunchtime we managed to get a couple of fish. Nothing massive but a feed was had..

Nice and warm...not

post-8294-1218617620_thumb.jpg

Bit of overkill! Ha ha ha

post-8294-1218617650_thumb.jpg

35cm rainbow

post-8294-1218617671_thumb.jpg

27cm Rainbow

post-8294-1218617691_thumb.jpg

Mr A also picked up two more fish around the 20cm mark which of course went back. Stuffed the others with bacon pieces, feta and spinach and baked 'em whole. Tasty!

Cheers

Tommy G

well done boys

Looks like the Lake is getting low again ???????

Yeah Hoges looks like it, there were patches where puddles were visible as well as weed, mud, snags etc. Definately tell the water had receeded.

Hi Raiders

After a couple of fairly good trips previously I decided to brave the freezing cold weather and took a trip with Mr A to Lake Lyell. It was bloody windy in the morning with a chill factor of -3 but after it settled down around lunchtime we managed to get a couple of fish. Nothing massive but a feed was had..

Nice and warm...not

post-8294-1218617620_thumb.jpg

Bit of overkill! Ha ha ha

post-8294-1218617650_thumb.jpg

35cm rainbow

post-8294-1218617671_thumb.jpg

27cm Rainbow

post-8294-1218617691_thumb.jpg

Mr A also picked up two more fish around the 20cm mark which of course went back. Stuffed the others with bacon pieces, feta and spinach and baked 'em whole. Tasty!

Cheers

Tommy G

G'Day Tommy,

What did you get the fish on ??

Cheers

Roffo

G'Day Tommy,

What did you get the fish on ??

Cheers

Roffo

G'day Roffo

3 different types of the Gulp putty, two fish on the rainbow variety, one on the chunky cheese variety and one on the bright orange variety. I've caught them on the powerbait nuggets before and also the bright green putty on previous trips hence taking a variety - especially if you're settling in for a big session!

Cheers

Tommy

Hey Tommy,

what size hooks and line are you using? I'm thinking of heading up in a months time armed with some powerbait. I might hire one of the tinnies up there and troll the lake even.

Ando

G'day Roffo

3 different types of the Gulp putty, two fish on the rainbow variety, one on the chunky cheese variety and one on the bright orange variety. I've caught them on the powerbait nuggets before and also the bright green putty on previous trips hence taking a variety - especially if you're settling in for a big session!

Cheers

Tommy

Hey Tommy,

what size hooks and line are you using? I'm thinking of heading up in a months time armed with some powerbait. I might hire one of the tinnies up there and troll the lake even.

Ando

Hi Ando,

The care taker no longer hires out tinnies due to OH&S BS.

If you had a canoe it would be worth a paddle close around the shore lines casting a few SP's or pink tassies etc in the arvo when the bugs come down.

I use size 12 Gammy Bait Keepers they seem to pin everything.

Cheers

Roffo

Nice fish mate me and some mates are heading up there this weekend did you happen to notice if the water was up over the boat ramp

thanks mal

Hi Mal,

I am the other goose standing in sub zero temperatures in the pics. We did not go near the main boat ramp.

However there is another ramp which people were using ok. You would need a 4wd and not a huge boat though.

When on your way in toward the lake after turning off the highway, drive past the main turn off and take the next entrance.

However, the water levels have apparently dropped even further in the last 4 weeks.

Tommy G is up there today again and he said he will not be leaving there until he bags out. So I expect him back by next wednesday. ha ha ha.

I will call him and ask him to check on the water levels for you if he can.

Good luck on the weekend mate.

Make sure you take a variety of powerbaits.

Thought I would attach another couple of fish that I got on the trip before.

Hi Mal,

I am the other goose standing in sub zero temperatures in the pics. We did not go near the main boat ramp.

However there is another ramp which people were using ok. You would need a 4wd and not a huge boat though.

When on your way in toward the lake after turning off the highway, drive past the main turn off and take the next entrance.

However, the water levels have apparently dropped even further in the last 4 weeks.

Tommy G is up there today again and he said he will not be leaving there until he bags out. So I expect him back by next wednesday. ha ha ha.

I will call him and ask him to check on the water levels for you if he can.

Good luck on the weekend mate.

Make sure you take a variety of powerbaits.

Thought I would attach another couple of fish that I got on the trip

Thanks mate going to leave the boat at home to check the ramps out. haven't been for a couple of years got a few types of power bait going to try the new worms & maggots as well as the raibow, pink ,

green & more. mainly going for a boys weekend away with mates so any fish is a good fish

Hi Raiders

Nice Work , boys :thumbup:

Was it a day trip or did you really brave the elements and camp?

It is bitter up there this time of year.

Did you see any schools of goldfish?

I want to do a trip and take the kayak out for a paddle, bit cold at present, if i went in, I fear I'd perish. :thumbdown:

Nice Work , boys :thumbup:

Was it a day trip or did you really brave the elements and camp?

It is bitter up there this time of year.

Did you see any schools of goldfish?

I want to do a trip and take the kayak out for a paddle, bit cold at present, if i went in, I fear I'd perish. :thumbdown:

Gday mate

Was definately a day trip, no bloody way I'd camp there this time of year! No schools of goldfish that I've seen, but read someone else say they saw some at the farmers creek area of the lake

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tommy G,

When you use the Gulp do you use a float or a sinker ?

cheers Dan. :beersmile:

G'day Dan

Generally a sinker which then allows the bait to float a bit off the bottom. For two reasons - generally most of our sessions have mostly been middle of the day when the fish go deeper and we also found with a float the conditions have been quite windy at times which plays havoc a bit. In saying that I'm fairly new at this trout caper so as the weather gets warmer I'll hit the area again to try a few things.

Cheers

TG

Hi TG,

Thanks for your reply. Im just cutting my teeth at trout fishing too i have been to Lyle twice in the last four months and only managed a gold fish and my girlfriend has out fished me so far with one nice small rainbow. Its totally diferent fishing compared to salt water fishing and it is much, much more slower and laid back. I take my four metre tinny up there when i go and do a bit of trolling with the tassies etc.

I know the trout like the powerbait as last time i was there i pu;;ed up on the bank and cast out a few bait and as i was doing soi happened to drop some powerbait in the water next to me then half an hour later there was a splash and it was gone :(

Anyway i might see you round there one time.

cheers Dan